Chapter 1

Chapter 1

TOBIAS POV:

"Tris!" I call into the darkness, stumbling and clawing my way to the light up ahead.

I just saw her walk past me, the ghost of her presence still shivering through my body. She had to be just up ahead. I know it. I can feel it.

"Tobias!" I hear her scream, her usually angelic voice, now full of pain and agony.

"Tris!" I yell back, finally seeing her come into view as I approach the light.

Her face is laced with pain until we make eye contact, then they immediately change to ones of hope. I begin to crawl faster, the feeling of walls caving in around me envelope my senses, and the need to escape escalates.

As I become closer and closer to her form, I begin to see another one, one of a man standing slightly to her right. His identity is covered in a blanket of her shadow, but the object that he holds up to Tris's side glimmers in the light. The metal barrel is held against her waist, the man's finger teasing the trigger.

"I will shoot if you come any closer." He speaks, his voice raspy and harsh.

I stop moving instantly, a white hot feeling racing through my body, panic.

"This is your fault, Tobias. She is here because of you," his voice booms as I feel the walls disappear, and instead I'm in the lighted room with Tris and the man.

I sigh, guilt invading my emotions as I speak, "Just let her go, she hasn't done anything wrong."

"It's too late for that," the barrel of the gun presses against her long golden hair, "This is your fault."

Then the gun goes off.

I watch as her body slumps to the ground, and I close my eyes to escape the images. Then the gun goes off again....again....again.

My eyes slam open to my body being rocked with my name coming out of her mouth over and over again, louder each time. Finally I come to my senses and grab her hand from my shoulders and place them at her sides.

"Tobias," Evelyn sighs my name, "finally, I thought you were never going to wake up."

I grunt at her, my mind comprehending that that all was just a dream, or a nightmare I should say. It happens a lot, I usually will wake up sweating as I am now. I haven't ever been woken up by someone, but Evelyn seems to get nervous every time I begin to thrash and yell in my sleep.

"What was it this time?" She asks, sitting next to me as I throw my legs over the edge of the bed and copy her position.

"Nothing I want to talk about." I say, wiping the sweat from my forehead off with the back of my hand.

"Okay, well, I made coffee if you want any."

I sigh, looking at the clock on the nightstand, 9:08 am. Instead of answering, I stand up, walking to the small kitchen and pouring myself a cup. Evelyn follows me out and sits in a chair at the table facing me. I take my coffee pain and pucker my lips as the bitter, hot liquid runs down my throat.

"Don't you want sugar or cream?" Evelyn asks, smirking at me as I make a face with every sip.

"I'll be fine." I answer, deciding to just down the rest to get it over with, as all I need from this cup of coffee is the caffeine it stores.

"So," she starts, standing up and pouring herself a cup, then adding two sugars and a splash of caramel flavored cream. As she stirs it with a spoon, she continues, "Are you planning on attending the get together with your friends today? It starts in a few hours."