Chapter 21: Reminisce

BRIE'S P.O.V.

My eyes fly open and I sit up from the couch I had been laying on with a gasp. Ararielle and Mattia sit across from me on another couch, Ararielle smiling kindly and Mattia looking at me with worried eyes. Mattia stand quickly and rushes to my side.

"Brie, are you alright? Do you remember?" she asks quietly.

I nod and grin at her. I remembered everything, especially her. I remembered how we had met when I was only 50. We had both begun to attend the same special training school in hopes to one day be on the High Council. Ever since the day we met we've been best friends. I can't believe I had forgotten her.

"I remember everything, Matti," I say as I pull her into a tight embrace. "I remember you and Caleb and my parents and Zuriel and-" I break off the sentence and Mattia pulls away, looking at me with knowing eyes. "Zuriel...I remember how much I love him. And yet..."

"Your feelings for the Okumura boy still remain?" Ararielle asks from her spot on the couch. I nod in response and she sighs. "That is troublesome indeed. You are going to have to make a choice, Brienna."

I groan and lean back into the couch, a weight settling on my chest and on my heart. I've been with Zuriel for so long now, and I love him to the moon and back. But for some reason, Rin makes me feel so alive and makes my heart soar to the stars. Zuriel is so calm and collected most times, and he always tells me how much he loves me. And Rin is so bashful and adorable and has such a hard time keeping his emotions in check. I let out another groan of frustration. How could I be in love with complete opposites?

"Brie?" Mattia says quietly. I look at her worried expression and offer a small smile.

"It's alright, Mattia. I'll figure it out, no problem," I reassure her. "I've had harder decisions than this before."

She nods and I stand from the couch, ready to leave Ararielle's cozy home. I walk over to said home owner and offer a hand.

"Thank you, Ararielle. I don't know what I would have done without you," I say with a grin.

Ararielle stands and embraces me softly, being careful not to make me uncomfortable. "You are very welcome, my dear Brienna. I do hope that you are able to sort out your feelings."

Mattia and I make our way to the house's exit and Ararielle sees us out. We bid our goodbyes at the door and then Mattia and I turn away to head back to the Tower of the High Council.

"Oh, Brienna."

I turn and see that Ararielle is still standing at the door. Her face is serious and I can see remorse and pity in her eyes. "Yes?" I ask as Mattia continues walking away.

"There is misfortune in your near future. Be wary of those you trust most," she says grimly.

I blink at her. "Misfortune?"

"What?" Ararielle asks, her face calm and less severe now. "Did you say something?"

"You said-"

Mattia appears beside me and looks at me with a puzzled expression. "Brie, what are you doing? I though we were leaving."

I look at Ararielle again and shake my head. "We are. I spaced out for a moment. Sorry."

"It's okay, let's just go," she says.

I nod and, with a final wave to Ararielle, we leave the house behind us. On the way back to the tower, Mattia and I spend the time reminiscing. We talk about the day we met and how Caleb used to be such a dork and how Zuriel and I used to be complete enemies. We talk about anything and everything, letting the roads of the city lead us to where we want to go. We talk about how boring school was back then and how we had never even guessed we would have been where we are now.

After a while we reach the tower far too soon in our opinion. Mattia walks me to my room and we bid each other goodnight, just like we always do. Once inside my room I collapse onto my bed, emotionally exhausted. I consider taking a bath but in the end decide that I'm just too tired. I figure I should get a lot of sleep tonight, because tomorrow I'm going to have to speak with Zuriel.

Zuriel. My heart clenches at the thought of him. It's not the flutter that I get from the mention of Rin, but perhaps that's because I have known Zuriel longer. I bury my head in my pillows and sigh.

I think back to Ararielle's words and shudder. What had she meant by misfortune? And why had she told me to be wary of those I trust? She had been confused when I had questioned her. Could I have imagined her saying that? Or did she really just not remember?

My mind races as I lay in my bed, wanting and wishing that sleep will come. And, almost as if someone had granted my wish, I fell asleep in the next instant, drowning in a dreamless sea of black.