Chapter 5: Cram School

When the final bell rings, students rush out in a flurry of papers and backpacks. I'm still getting my things together when the last kid gets out the door. The teacher watches impatiently as I finish packing and stand to leave. The door slams behind me once I'm out. I turn and glare at the door, hoping if I stare hard enough I'll burn a hole in it. Unfortunately it doesn't happen.

I sigh and make my way to my locker, observing the decor, or in this case lack of, of the school. There are no posters on the walls like in my school. No signs talking about after-school activities or announcing upcoming events. It's plain and empty, giving off an almost depressing vibe. Which is odd considering it's Mephisto's school, and he's anything but plain. As I turn the next corner I spot Rin leaning against my locker, twirling his dark hair around his finger. He hasn't noticed me yet so I take this chance to look closer at his features.

Rin is not hot, but more cute. His skin is tan and looks soft, making me want to reach out and touch it. His nose small and pointed, but not so much so that it's unattractive. His eyes are a deep blue, like the deepest depths of the ocean. They are distant at the moment, which means he's most likely daydreaming. His hair is messy and unkempt, but still looks cute on him. I doubt he even brushes it in the morning. It's color is that of a raven's feathers, black but also blue at the same time. The ears that hide beneath his hair are pointed at the top, a trait I'm guessing he got from his demon father. Apart, his features would be unattractive, but together they create something adorable.

I look back at his eyes only to find them staring back at me. How long have I been staring at him? How long has he known I've been staring at him? A deep blush darkens my cheeks as I begin to walk toward him, hoping he won't say anything about it. Unfortunately, he does.

"What were you starin' at, Brie?" he asks, amusement evident in his voice. "Enjoying the view?"

"In your dreams," I snap as I open my locker. "I was just thinking about how dumb you look standing here. What I didn't need to go to my locker after school? What then?"

His cheeks turn red as he stumbles for an answer. "Well, um, I would, uh..."

I chuckle at his nervous demeanor, a big change from the confidence he had shown previously. I can tell that Rin is the kind of guy who tries to act cool but is really just a big goofball. Not that I would change that about him, it only adds to his adorableness.

"So, you ready for cram school?" he asks.

"Cram what?" I reply with a frown.

"Cram school? The exorcist school?" he questions, raising a brow at me. "Mephisto said he enrolled you."

I groan and bang my head against my now closed locker. "He was serious when he said that? I don't want to go to some exorcist school!"

"Oh, come one! It's fun!" he says before trailing off. "Most of the time at least..."

"Maybe I could just skip and-"

"Nuh uh. If I have to go, you have to go," he says as he pulls at my arm, leading me out of the school. I groan and complain the whole way, but he doesn't give me any slack. Eventually I give up and just walk with him, though he doesn't loosen his grip on my arm. Soon we stop at a wall that's raised off the ground. Letting go of my arm, Rin jumps over the wall and lands with his feet firmly on the ground.

"Come on," he says, looking up at me. "Jump."

"Jump? Are you crazy?" I ask in disbelief. "I'll die."

He rolls his eyes at me, a small smirk on his face. "You're not gonna die. I'll catch you."

He holds his arms out and I look nervously at the distance between the top of the wall to the ground. Hesitantly, I climb onto the wall's top and look down. The distance to Rin isn't that big but it's not small either. Just when I'm about to chicken out, I lose my footing and topple off the wall. I shut my eyes, not wanting to see the ground rushing toward me. Expecting death, I'm surprised when I land in Rin's arms. I slowly open my eyes and look up to see a grinning Rin.

"Told you you wouldn't die," he says.

"Alright so maybe I was being a little dramatic," I admit, averting my eyes from his his. He laughs and lets me down onto my own two feet. I follow him to a door built into the wall I had just fallen off of and he slides a key into it's lock. When he opens the door I follow him inside, surprised by the stain glass decorations that line the walls. It's an improvement from the lack of decorations in the normal school.

"I think I'm gonna start calling you Humpty Dumpty," Rin says as we walk down the hall.

"What? Why?" I ask, slightly pouting.

"Because of the way you fell off that wall," he says as he throws me a grin over his shoulder.

"You're never gonna let me live that down," I groan when we get to the classroom door.

"Nope."

We enter the classroom, gaining the stares of the other students. The teacher in the front of the room, who I notice is Yukio, eyes us as we walk in. I follow Rin to a table and sit next to him. A blonde girl sits on the other side of him and I give her a friendly smile, which she returns shyly. I look back to Yukio at the front of the room. He sighs before he speaks.

"Rin, Brie, care to explain why you were late?" he asks, pushing up his glasses.

"Late?!" I shout, causing the rest of the class to jump. I turn to Rin in agitation. "You made me late?!"

He gives me a sheepish smile and says, "I'm not the most reliable when it comes to being on time."

I groan and look back to Yukio, who's smiling slightly. "I'm so sorry, I didn't know when the class started and thought I could rely on Rin to get me there on time."

Yukio smiles at me and shakes his head. "I'll let you off the hook this time, but only because it's your first day."

"Thank you so much," I sigh in relief. With that, Yukio begins class. It's actually pretty interesting learning about demons. I never knew there were so many different kinds. I listened, fascinated, the entire class. All too soon the bell for the end of class rings, dismissing us. I pack up the notebook I had been taking notes in and the new textbook I had been given. Some of the students walk up to me while others leave. I recognize the boys I had met a few days back, Bon, Shima, and Miwa.

"Hey there, foreign girl," Shima says with a wink. "You're cute when you're mad."

Bon hits him in the head. "Knock it off Shima."

"I apologize for Shima," Miwa says as he rubs his head. "He can get a bit out of hand sometimes."

"It's okay," I laugh. "I'm used to being flirted with."

"So your name's Brie?" a girl with purple hair and a sour face asks.

"Brie Renee Tenors if you're looking for my full name," I say with a smile.

"I'm Izumo Kamaki. I came to talk to you because I thought you were more like me," she says with a blank face. "It seems I was wrong..."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I question, not sure if I should be mad or not.

"It means you aren't on my level so I'm not going to associate myself with you," she says bitterly.

I frown at her. "Whatever. I wouldn't wanna be like you anyway." She glares before turning on her heel and leaving, sticking her chin up in pride.

"What a bitch," I mutter. The others around me just nod their heads. The blonde who sat next to Rin smiles at me and holds out a hand, which I gladly take.

"Hello. My name is Shiemi Moriyama," she says with a smile. "Don't worry about Kamaki, she's always like that."

Together, we make our way as one big group out of the cram school building, chatting and getting to know more about one another. Eventually we split ways as we head to our separate dorms, leaving only me and Rin. When we get to our own dorms we too split ways, him heading to his room while I head to mine. I plop onto my bed and run through the day. Overall it had been a good one. I decide that I like the people here...except that Kamaki girl. She's a bitch. But beside her everyone else seems nice. Maybe this exorcist school thing won't be so bad after all.