Chapter 2: Welcome to True Cross

In seconds time, conditioned air hits my face and I tumble to the ground. I grunt in pain as I hit the hard floor, cursing magic gates and their power to make me lose my balance. I quickly push myself up and look around at my surroundings. We've ended up in an office, little trinkets decorate the shelves and desk. I turn around to face Amaimon and shoot him a glare, to which he only smirks and sticks another lollipop in his mouth.

"It took you two long enough," says Mephisto with a yawn. I glare at him and he smiles in amusement, irritating me further.

"She was afraid, so I had to push her," says Amaimon with a shrug.

Mephisto smiles again and laughs, "Well now, that wasn't very nice of you. But, now that we're here-" His face becomes serious. "-get out if my office."

"That isn't very nice of you," I mimic him as he pushes us through the door.

"Yes, but I'm not very nice," he says with a grin before slamming the door in our faces.

"Rude," I grumble under my breath. I turn to Amaimon in question. "What now?"

He shrugs, "I dunno. What do you wanna do?"

"I don't know what there is to do around here."

He thinks for a moment before grabbing my hand and dragging me away, twisting down hallway after hallway.

"Where are we going?" I yell, struggling to keep up with him.

"To see someone," he replies in a bored tone. I roll my eyes at his uninformative answer. He soon leads me outside of the building, stopping at a water fountain near what looks to be the main entrance. He sits down on the edge of the fountain and I sit next to him, blushing when I notice that he hasn't let go of my hand. We wait for a few minutes before a bell sounds from inside the building. Teenagers flood out of the building, heading their different ways with books in tow.

"Is this a school?" I ask in confusion.

"Yes, it's True Cross Academy. Brother runs it as well as the exorcist school," he answers. I nod in understanding as he scans the crowd for someone. He seems to find who he's looking for because he waves at someone, signaling them to join us. A boy with black hair, so black it almost has a blue tint to it, approaches us with a grin on his face. I note that he has a sword strapped to his back. Odd...

"Hey Amaimon," he says with a grin, not seeming to notice me.

"Hello Rin," replies Amaimon with a small smile.

Rin then seems to notice me and looks my way. He gives a sly smirk as he notices our entangled hands. "Who's this? Your girlfriend?"

I blush and quickly pull my hand away, "Hell no! No way would I ever go out with this guy!"

Amaimon smirks and introduces me, "This is Brie. She's a transfer student."

I look at him in confusion before I understand. He's making up a cover story for me. It's not like I can just tell people that I randomly ended up in Gehenna and that I'm here while Mephisto researches how the heck I got there. Huh, I guess Amaimon's smarter than I thought.

"Yeah, I just got here. I'm from America," I say. Which makes me wonder, what country am I in?

"Wow, you speak really good Japanese for an American," says Rin with wide eyes. Oh, so I'm in Japan. How am I speaking Japanese?

"Uh, yeah, I studied Japanese fluently before I enrolled here," I lie. He nods and then suddenly he's staring at my face. I blink in question and turn around. Nope, nobody behind me. I look back at him in confusion.