Chapter 19: Remembering

BRIE'S P.O.V.

"So, are we friends?"

"I would say so," Mattia laughs as we walk through the city. "We've known each other since we were small."

"How young is small?" I ask curiously.

"I'd say we were each around 50," she says with a nod.

My eyes widen as I glance over at her. "So we've known each other for, like, 150 years."

"That's right," she says with another nod.

"I'm surprised you aren't more upset about me not wanting to remember," I say quietly.

She gives me a sad smile. "Well, I do want you to remember, but I also respect your wishes. Which is why I want to help you."

"You are much nicer than anyone else here, Mattia," I say with a grin. "Can I call you Matti?"

She grins back and nods happily. "I was hoping you would. You haven't called me Mattia since we first met."

We walk in comfortable silence through the quiet streets of the city. It's still a bit early and only a few people are out and about. Mattia said that she had wanted to get an early start so that we could easily avoid everyone else, that way we wouldn't cause any suspicion. I can tell that Mattia is a clever girl, for I know I wouldn't have ever thought of a detail like that.

"So," I say slowly, not sure if I should ask or not, "how do you feel about demons?"

"Well, I hate them of course," she says bluntly. "But I know that there are some exceptions. I know that the Okumura twins are not bad people, so I have no reason to hate them."

I let out a sigh of relief. "That's good to hear. I can see why we're friends."

"I'm surprised, though," she says quietly. "Your hate for demons runs deep within you, Brie. It amazes me that a simple memory wipe could get rid of it."

"It has something to do with my parents, right?" I ask.

She nods. "Yes."

"Will I remember them?"

"That depends on if that has to do with you hating demons or not," she replies. "You may remember them, but you may not remember their deaths." She stops walking at looks at the building in front of us. "We're here."

The house is normal sized, identical to the others around it. Like all the buildings here it is made of white marble and has a smooth texture. It is small, but it is just as beautiful as the large tower in the center of the city. Mattia steps forward and knocks on the door lightly. We wait a few seconds until the door is opened, revealing the owner of the house.

"Oh, Mattia!" the woman says cheerfully. She looks older than both of us, a full-grown woman, but her beauty is awe-inspiring. She has chocolate brown hair that cascades around her, reaching to her hips. Her eyes are bright and are the color of forest green leaves.

"Hello, Arariel," Mattia says with a small smile. The woman, Arariel, steps forward and grabs the small girl into a hug. I smile at the show of affection.

"I haven't seen you in ages, Mattia!" Arariel says as she releases the pink-haired angel. "What brings you here?"

"Well, Arariel, I'm here for some help," Mattia says with a gesture in my direction.

Arariel looks at me and smiles warmly. "And who might this be?"

"This is Brienna, and her memories have been stolen," Mattia says.

"That should be no problem for you, Tia," the woman says with a scolding glance at her apprentice.

Mattia smiles and shakes her head. "It is not, but Brie is a special case."

Arariel nods and moves from the doorway. "Please come in."

We both nod and step inside the woman's home. She leads us to a small living area and insists that we sit down. We do and she walks off to get refreshments. The living room is very cozy, with warm colors decorating every surface. I look at Mattia nervously, to which she only gives a comforting smile. We wait and within moments Arariel is back with what looks like tea. She hands each of us a cup and then sits in the chair across from us with a smile.

"Alright, so what's the problem?" she asks.

"Brie, why don't you explain the situation to Arariel?" Mattia says encouragingly.

I nod and begin. "Well, not too long ago I was sent to Gehenna on a mission, a mission to kill Satan. But, while being transported I was intercepted, turned temporarily human, and given false memories. I was under the illusion that my name was Brie Tenors, had lived in America, and was human. After I had dealt with Satan, he ordered his sons to keep watch of me and find out how I had gotten there. They took me to True Cross Academy, where I met lots of new people and made new memories. However, during an attack, I supposedly used my angel powers and was sent to the infirmary, where I met Caleb and her kidnapped me."

Arariel looks at me with wide eyes. "So, what is the problem?"

"The problem is that I want to remember who I am, but I don't want to hate demons," I say.

"Why not?" she asks curiously.

I swallow. "Well, while I was at True Cross I met new friends, like I said, four of which are demons. I also may be going out with Rin Okumura..."

"The son of Satan?" Arariel asks, eyes widening even more.

"Yes..."

Arariel is silent for a while and looks to the distance, thinking. Finally, she smiles and her eyes focus back onto me. "I understand."

"Y...You do?" I ask.

"Yes," she says warmly. "I will help you."

My eyes widen immensely. "You will?"

She nods again and her smile is sincere. "Just come over here to me and I will return your memories."

I nod and stand slowly, almost not able to believe it. I make my way over to her and she stands also, bringing us eye to eye.

"Close your eyes and relax," she says quietly. I do as she says and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. I feel her fingers find my temples and stay there. "This may hurt just a bit, but do not fear."

I nod and gasp when I feel something in my mind. I can feel her in my head. It is an odd sensation, and a bit unpleasant. I feel her rummage through my memories, bringing up ones of True Cross. I see Rin and Yukio at the table, eating away. I see Satan shrinking away from me in fear and the laughter that followed. And then a sharp pain runs through my head and I yelp.

And then I see something new, but still recognizable.

My forgotten memories.