40•Chicken Souvlaki

Start from the beginning

When I was finishing dinner I heard the door open and a few seconds later Rai came in the house. "Hey Punkin! I missed you." She sang walking straight to me.

"Mmm, I missed you too babe." I pulled her close to me, loving all over her. Showering her with sweet kisses everywhere I could.
She giggled. "Something smells really good."

"Go check it out and see. I'm trying something different tonight." I bit down on my lip smiling at her.

"Ok, be right back let me go freshen up then I'll be back down." She walked away toward the stairs.
"Aight, don't take too long I know how you do."

"Whatever." She replied sticking her tongue out bending over on the stairs twerking. "I see what kind of day you had at the studio. Aight, watch that." I warned and she laughed prancing up the stairs. Mm.

We ate dinner, we talked about my day with the kids and the Mayor while we ate. I prepared chicken souvlaki with tzatziki sauce over a bed of wild rice paired with seared broccolini and a sweet potato mash. Not to pat myself on the back but Raina went back for seconds so this was indeed a good day.

"That was amazing

"That was amazing. If you want another career change, a chef should be next up." She looked over clean plate.

"Boost me up love." We laughed. "I'm glad you like it." She stood to clear the table. I was about to do the same. "I got it." She gestured for me to remain seated and I did. I watched her as she moved around in the kitchen.

"So your mom and I talked today." She spoke while placing the dishes in the sink and turning the water on. "How was that?"

"She's hurting but I think that release of anger she had helped. She said she had her mad day and now she's ready to start focusing on her life. We read some scriptures."

"I'm glad to hear that." I smiled at her. "She also said she's going away for awhile. She's going on a trip to Paris with your aunts. Then when she get back she's planning a trip to the Middle East, to Jerusalem. I told her I might have to sneak into one of her bags and tag along with her for that one." She laughed.

"She told me about that. I told her to not even think twice about it, just do it." I continued watching my girl move about. "Exactly." She agreed while transferring the now clean dishes to the other sink for rinse.

Things were quiet as she continued cleaning. I started thinking about my pops. Honestly I'm conflicted. I want to hear him out. He always heard me out. It's just when I'm around him I get angry. I've never expected anything close to this from him.

Growing up my pops and I did everything together. He never missed a game, he was there for everything I needed. I remember my prom night, he made it a big deal for me and Mike. Even though Mike was still new to Atlanta my dad understood he needed something good. So he spared no expenses. Mike and I took these two last-minute girls to prom. My pops ended up getting us a party bus. We invited the whole varsity team. After prom was over he rented out an event space and had an after party for us. That's just to name a few things. He made every moment in my life a big deal.