Why I chose my major: Data Science

(The extended version for a 300 word personal statement required in my University's Scholarship application for Women in Technology. It is the honest truth.)

When it comes to why many people choose their major or degree, some people may say, "I've had an interest in such area since a young age," or "it's what everyone is doing right now, tech is the future!!" It's generally the stereotype when it's how you picture what people in technology and science do. However, the reason why I chose to study data science is nothing like that. It's because I burnt my $1200 laptop that was meant for studying and schoolwork whilst playing Overwatch.

My name is Jingting Wei. I was very indecisive about what I wanted to do once I was older. University has always been a must for me, since knowledge creates more power and gives you more control over your options. Prior to my disastrous action, I was about to apply for a Law degree, as suggested by my mother had I no other ideas by d-day. Despite taking mainly science subjects in highschool, I had passed the requirements needed to get into law.

Here's a bit of background: I'm a person who is easily entertained. As long as the hobby seems meaningful and interesting, I am very likely to keep doing it. It is because of this, I had no idea where I was going to go or what I was going to take in University, despite my father's constant reminding for me to "have a plan". I think, I was mostly in denial about how I would not be able to do everything that I would be in school, as I had so many hobbies. I did drawing in my free time, chess during lunches, fencing and taekwondo after school. Not to mention ice skating, piano, and clarinet during weekends. Life had so much to offer, I didn't want to be tied down to one and only one thing.

Despite being very indecisive, University has always been a must for me, since knowledge creates more power and gives you more control over your options. It allows for freedom, regardless of race, gender, or appearance. Prior to my disastrous actions, I was about to apply for a Law degree, as one of the suggestions by my mother had I no other ideas by d-day. It wasn't exactly my most ideal option, but when University is in 8 months and you have no idea what you want to do, it seemed like a great option. Makes a lot of money, you can protect yourself with law knowledge, and can make an Asian parent proud. Despite taking mainly science subjects in highschool, I had passed the requirements needed to get into law.

At the time, I had been playing a shooting game, Overwatch. Despite having played at least 100 hours on it, I was still very ignorant about computers and their limits. The most I knew was stuff like how Gb were larger than Mb and they were larger than Kb, RAM of 8 gives great speed, and how to convert online Youtube videos into mp3 through websites. I was literally, a noob, both ingame and in computer knowledge. It was around this time last year when I had decided to go on a hardcore gaming session, only for the screen to black out, without any chance of starting up.

Oh, it's fine.

It wasn't fine. After attempt startups, and putting my laptop in the fridge, nothing worked. My parents couldn't get it working either.

It was then when I realized my mistake, and that was when I decided I never wanted to have something like this happen to me ever again. What better way to prevent that by finding a job in the field? I spent the entire afternoon and next week and so crying over my laptop and searching for said job that pays $100 an hour. Although, it seems shallow, it was one of the options that was a possible path. Burning my laptop gave a sense of regret and unbearable sadness. I didn't choose to destroy my laptop. It just happened as a result of my ignorance. At the time, I felt that I would never be able to have the same happy moments I had on that laptop. It utterly crushed me. Even now, as I type this on my now restored laptop, I still feel the utter pain from that moment. I wanted to avoid this feeling. Either through having the means for enough disposable income to cover my idiocracy or through becoming digitally literate.

Luckily, most jobs that pay well fall under both. Data Science aligned perfectly with my subjects that I studied in school and this newfound goal that I had. All the Stats and Calculus I enjoyed was there, along with stuff to do with computers. This was something that I could learn and enjoy and make me more digitally learned. There was potential in this specialisation, as it seemed challenging yet useful enough in almost every field. I wasn't very good at coding, as it reminded me that I a monkey reading an instruction manual, so I chose data science rather than computer science.

I no longer play video games as much as before, but I know now to play them in moderation and always on a PC rather than a laptop. I enjoy my current life at university. Classes are difficult, but I know that I have made the right decision. I'm learning new things every day I'm in class, and I don't have to write as many thousand word essays as I had thought. It would have no way been as interesting had I taken law instead. My hard work pays off, and it's enjoyable. Although I've only got through part of the first semester, I have good feelings about my 3 years here.

I'm not necessarily that motivated to earn the "$100 an hour" as I originally had thought. Instead, I'm going to get A's for all my subjects. Then. I will search for jobs leading up to that $100 an hour in my field. I'm more focused on my current situation and right now, I want to enjoy my broke college life.