75. Civil War

-Clarification, these events take place at the same time as the chapters detailing Naomi and Thanos on Vormir-

Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes walked side by side in quiet, contemplative silence. They had been sent by Steve to greet whatever newcomers had arrived on Earth, since halfway through the Avengers setting on what happened with Thanos, Shuri received another alert of an incoming spacecraft. The alert stalled the argument for a while, and forced the splintered group to stay intact until they figured out that it was not Thanos's ship returning. Tony had his suspicions, but nearing the end of the day, the man was too worn out to greet the newcomers himself. Thus, Bucky and Sam were sent out to settle things.

"What's going on?" Sam asked quietly, hands shoved in his pockets. Bucky shrugged in response, not used to the more serious side of Sam, but more than willing to adapt.

"Crazy shit." Bucky said. This earned him a short laugh from Sam, momentarily lifting the mood. Bucky usually didn't curse, and the few times he spoke, he was never quite so crass.

"I think I'm rubbing off on you, Mr. Christ." He grinned as Bucky groaned loudly, expressing his hatred for the nickname.

"For the last time, I'm not Jesus."

"Then what's with the hair?" Sam countered. Bucky simply rolled his eyes, and knocked his shoulder into Sam's, playfully shoving the man away. But Sam was only more amused by the action, and resolved to only ever refer to Bucky Barnes as 'Mr. Christ.' Secretly, Sam thought that Bucky's overly stylish long hair and beard were just to impress Steve, but he kept those thoughts to himself. Sam wasn't one for gossip, after all.

However the men were forced to widen up as they drew closer to the ship, which was currently in the middle of landing on the decimated lawn. With all the alien arrivals taking place in so close a vicinity, the groundkeepers for the facility had no hope of keeping up. The pair halted their trek several feet away from the ship, its engines slowly decreasing their loud roar as it settled on the ground. Bucky thought that he should have been more impressed by the alien technology, but after the recent week, he was quite tired, and didn't have room to care.

After a few moments, the side of the ship opened with a hiss, the wall door swinging upward to reveal the exit. Sam and Bucky peered at the first figure to exit the ship, but they failed to recognize the man. However when a green woman was the second to step out, they lost interest in recognizing the aliens, and instead silently gawked, and wondered what foreign planets they had come from. After the green woman, the aliens grew even more bizarre. A blueish-gray man with red tattoos, a woman with actual antennae protruding from her forehead, and a blue cyborg were the next to step out. Sam and Bucky exchanged bewildered glances when a tree and a raccoon then both walked out of the ship. The group of aliens gathered together in front of they ship, taking their own time to survey the two Avengers in front of them. Sam cleared his throat to speak out, but was distracted when more figures emerged.

Thankfully, there were some familiar faces in the next bunch. Sam was able to recognize Thor and Dr. Banner from the news, even though he had never actually seen them in person before. However, Sam only had a vague sense of familiarity with the next man who exited, dressed in shades of green with long dark hair, and the young woman next to him in white armor was also a stranger.

As Sam and Bucky observed, the two groups from the ships huddled around themselves, and maintained a stark separation. Clearly, there was some sort of tension between them, but since Sam was not one to gossip, he didn't mention it to Bucky.

"Whatever." Bucky sighed, Sam nearly laughing at his friend's utter exhaustion with the entire endeavor. "Are you friendly?"

Stepping forward, Thor room it upon himself to answer. "We mean no harm, I am Thor, son of Odin, and I speak for the group in that-"