20) Oliver's Realization

Oliver peered over the railing at the swirling turquoise waters.  Small whitecaps lapped at the hull of the boat, creating miniature whirlpools and eddies.  The Queen Francis cruised through the crystal-clear ocean, heading back to the harbor where it had first set sail.

            Oliver couldn’t deny that he was happy.  He felt like a fool for following Hayley and nearly having a nervous breakdown on the island.  This is the first and last boat trip I’ll ever take, he told himself.  There was something about the refreshing sea breeze and placid waters that appealed to him, though.  He found that he couldn’t tear his gaze away from the drifting ocean.  He had often spent nights staring into the sunset, watching as bold streaks of color were painted across the surface of the water.  It inspired him and filled him with a peace he didn’t know existed.  It almost wiped out any thoughts of Hayley.

            He frowned and pushed away from the railing.  He had worked his tail off trying not to be seen by her.  A sour mixture of shame and regret churned in his stomach.  He wished he had never set foot on The Queen Francis.  Following Hayley was a mistake, and he knew it.  He had often thought of what would happen if she found out he had shadowed her.  In each scenario played out in his head, the result was the same: anger.

            “I’m such an idiot,” he muttered.  Two women suddenly brushed past his shoulders, talking excitedly in hushed whispers.  Oliver’s cheeks flushed as he realized he might have spoken a bit too loud.

            Bits and pieces of the women’s conversation reached his ears: “…gone missing…” “…luggage still in her room…” “…Captain’s trying to keep it quiet…”

            Oliver shivered.  Someone was missing? That’s ridiculous, he thought.  But when he entered the dining hall the next morning, he was surprised to see everyone on the edge of their seats rather than chatting lightly about the trip.  It was the final day aboard The Queen Francis, and yet all the passengers seemed jittery.

            Oliver floated past the tables to the buffet line.  His arms were peppered with goosebumps when he heard, “She disappeared last night.  She left everything behind—all her luggage, her books, everything.”

            “But not a suicide note,” someone else spoke up.  “You’d think if she had jumped overboard, she would leave a note saying why.”

            “What if she didn’t jump overboard?” another passenger argued.  “She’s not the only one missing, you know.  A group of men vanished along with her.”

            “I don’t believe it,” the first person said stiffly.  “The crew’s just telling stories to scare us.”

            “I’m just glad we’re going home today.  I’ve had too much adventure for one week.”

            Oliver was officially spooked.  He looked left and right, sweeping his gaze over the dining hall like he had done many times before.  This time, however, he wasn’t looking to avoid Hayley—he needed to find her.

            She was nowhere in sight.