4) Uncomfortable Situations

PRESENT DAY 

During the last few minutes of her college algebra test, Hayley doodled in her notebook and waited for the remaining students to finish.  She paused after completing a drawing of a hibiscus flower and chewed on the end of her pencil.  She only had one more class before the school day was over: photography.  It seemed like Mondays always went by the slowest—especially math classes on Monday.  Hayley frowned and twirled her pencil in between her fingers.  At least there’s only one week to go until spring break.

            Finally, as the last seconds of the clock ticked down, Mr. Yeoman called for all the tests to be passed up.  Hayley slung her backpack over one shoulder and fingered the camera dangling around her neck.  As soon as class was dismissed, she made a beeline for the opposite side of the school.  Already she walked with a lighter spring in her step as she anticipated her favorite and most relaxing period out of the school day.

            Before she even made it to the door of her photography class, however, she stopped when she heard a familiar voice call her name.

            “Hayley!”  A tall, lanky boy wearing rectangular glasses came into view.  His goofy smile made his features seem even more boyish than usual.

            “Hi, Oliver.”

            “You’re in Mr. Yeoman’s class, right?”

            She cocked her head to one side.  “How’d you know that?”

            “I s-saw you walk out just a few minutes ago.  I have his class on Tuesdays.  Tuesdays and Thursdays.”

            “Oh.  Good luck on the test tomorrow, then.”

            Oliver’s squinted at her through his glasses.  “W-was it hard?”

            “A little.  There were a few logarithms I had some trouble with, but it wasn’t too bad.”

            “I’m not very good at math.”

            “That’s okay.”  Hayley gave him a reassuring smile, though she detected something in his eyes.  “I’ve always taken you for the type of guy who likes math.  I guess I was wrong.”

            “Yeah.”  He grinned.  “I guess you were.”

            Hayley nodded and turned to walk into the classroom, a little unnerved by the way he was staring at her.  She blushed and ducked her head.

            “Wait, Hayley!”

            She paused.  “Yeah?”

            “Uh, do you think I could…um…call you later? If I have questions about the math test?”

            She gave him a look, not entirely sure what he was getting at.  “Isn’t there someone in your class you could—”

            “No.”

            “Oh.  Okay, then.”  After a few seconds’ deliberation, Hayley nodded and gave Oliver a brief smile.  “Let me give you my number.”

            Oliver sighed with relief as he took out his phone and punched in her number.  “Th-thanks so much, Hayley.  You’re a lifesaver.”

            “No problem.”  She turned and took an extra-long stride into the classroom, determined not to be held back a third time.  She sat down in the front corner of the class, where she was boxed in by three other students.  She didn’t raise her head as Oliver trailed into the room, flickering his gaze over to where she was seated.  Out of her peripheral vision, Hayley saw him give a sad glance in her direction before sitting down in an empty seat on the opposite side of the room.

            She slid lower into her seat.  She felt a little guilty about ditching Oliver like that, but she regretted giving him her number.  Though she did need help with math, she had a feeling nothing good would come of having a direct connection to Oliver.

            But he’s nice, she reasoned with herself.  He just has a crush on you.  What’s the harm in being nice in return?

            Hayley groaned and tried to hide behind the frizzy-haired student next to her when Oliver glanced in her direction.  She averted her eyes.  Because I don’t want to give him the wrong idea.