1. Suicidal

WARNING: This chapter contains attempted suicide and suicidal thoughts. You have been warned.

Jughead's P.O.V.

I wanted to die.

I just wanted to end this nightmare, A.K.A my life, once and for all.

First of all, my dad was an alcoholic. Second of all, my mom and my little sister, Jellybean, were in Toledo and didn't even want me to visit, as I'd discovered when I called and told them I was going to visit but they'd completely shunned me. Thirdly, I didn't have a reason to live. I had no one to love and no one to love me.

I looked down at the knife in my hand, breathing elevating rapidly.

I wanted to kill myself, but I didn't want to.

I was too scared.

I gulped and slowly raised the knife to eye level, turning it over, examining it. Then I lowered it to my chest, searched for my heart, and—

My trailer door banged open, hitting the wall in the process. I looked up to see Betty Cooper standing there, eyes widened in panic as she raced towards me and wrenched the weapon out of my shaking hands.

"What the hell are you doing, Jughead?!" she cried, holding the knife firmly in her hand so I couldn't snatch it away.

"Isn't it obvious?" I snapped, trying anyway.

Betty staggered back to keep me away from the sharp knife. I snorted and took a step towards her.

Hurt filled her eyes, causing me to stop dead in my tracks.

"Juggy, why . . . Why are you doing this?"

"Because, Betty, my life sucks. My dad's an alcoholic, my mom and sister want nothing to do with me, and I don't exactly have any friends."

"No, that's not true! You have me and Archie!"

"Right, cause you two have done such a great job at seeing how miserable I am. Hell, even Reggie seemed to notice. Not that he exactly cared."

Tears clouded Betty's green eyes, and I immediately regretted my words.

"Jug, I am so sorry," she said. "I didn't—I didn't know."

I ignored her and reached for the knife again. When she raised it to her throat, I stopped.

"If you try to take it away from me, then I'll kill myself," she said. "There's no point in living if you're not here to live with me."

I sighed and crossed my arms.

"Fine," I said. "I won't do it."

"Right. I don't trust you."

"Of course you don't."

She held the knife behind her back and walked towards me. She took my hand in hers and met my gaze.

"Juggy, there's no way you have nothing to live for. If you're struggling, tell me. I'll always be here for you. I promise. Until the day I die, Jug, I'll always be here."

Published 05/04/19