t h i r t e e n

Morning comes early. I find myself getting up without trouble. This is no different for me. My eyes come into focus and the room I was hoping I would wake in was not here. I look to the side of my bed and find my armor resting where I put it last night and my lance resting next to my father's.

My face falls with depression rising up once again as realization hits me. The Prince's words echo in my mind and I push aside my feelings. I push myself from bed and approach my dresser. I withdraw my under-armor garment and replace my sleeping gown with it. I pull it on and turn to my armor waiting for me on its stand.

My gaze slides over to the small mirror over the dresser and find a lost girl staring back at me. I see fear threatening her from deep within. I turn back to my armor stand and approach it. My clock on my nightstand says six o' clock. Training starts in an hour.

I sigh softly and pull my armor over my body, piece by piece. I take the Prince's words to heart and put my trust in them. Otherwise, there is nothing left for me to fight for. I firmly grasp my lance, secure it on my back and face the door.

As I approach the door, a soft knock startles me slightly, "K--Katarina?"

"Uh, y--yes?"

I open the door and find Daphne standing there. Her green hair curls around her face and is accented nicely with her green under-armor garment and the blue armor she wears. A standard lance is secured on her back. I recognize it as 2 levels higher than mine, rank C, if I remember the ranks correctly. She smiles sweetly at me when she sees I am all ready to go, "Oh, good. I was hoping you were up. It is close to time to begin training. Ophelia sent me to retrieve you. Lady Nova has requested that Ophelia to be your trainer and she will be watching the activities today,"

"Understood," I say as I nod firmly.

"Good, right this way,"

My stomach fills with butterflies again as I start to follow her towards the courtyard. The morning is dark and the chill in the air blows through my hair. The sun won't rise for another couple of hours and it will not bring much warmth with it. A cold chill runs down my back as we leave the hallway and out the door to the balcony overseeing the courtyard where the staircases are found.

Torches light the courtyard with glowing red light as Knights fill the courtyard slowly. A group of them are already out there swinging wooden lances while many more are walking towards them.

I follow Daphne down one of the staircases and she leads me to the north wall where the wooden lances are stored. Several Knights are there receiving one from the trainers. I find Ophelia there handing them out and giving some instruction to the ones talking to her. She looks over to Daphne when we get near and smiles when she sees she has brought me too.

"Morning Daphne! Thanks for bringing Katarina here. You will be in my training group today. So, I will ask you to be Katarina's first partner for today after we finish the first set of practice sets,"