CHAPTER TWO: THE ENCOUNTER

Start from the beginning

“Whatever. Turns out it’s a robot type thing. Not a person.” Tristan corrected.

“Who do you think made it? Maybe the Butcher?”

The Butcher was a really old man who loved tinkering out with cars. Everybody thought he was just a crazy old bat who lost a few screws. That was until he took down four heroes in the last war.

“Not possible. He died of a heart attack a few months back.”

“What? Man, I really wanted to meet him. He was a war hero.” Skye muttered.

“Isn’t Bacchus a war hero?” Tristan asked back.

“Yeah,  but Bacchus also has beer on his cheek. He isn’t really the looking up to type of guy.”

“You’re lying.”

“I’m lying.” Skye agreed. If there was anyone she ever looked up to; it was Bacchus.

“Someone’s there.” Tristan suddenly stopped. He hovered a hand over Skye’s chest as he slowly walked ahead. Skye followed him, pulling her hoodie sleeves up to her elbows.

“Don’t...touch me...” Skye heard a woman’s voice. She immediately pulled Tristan back and walked forward. It was the same woman from earlier that night. She was crouched between the building and the staircase leading to the door.

“Hey. It’s me.” She said softly. “What happened? Why didn’t you go home?”

She pointed to the building beside her. “That’s my house. A guy just mugged me. He ran that way.”

She said pointing straight ahead. “Mugged huh? You must be having a really bad day.” Skye turned to Tristan. “Get her in the house, I’m going to go after the guy.”

Tristan nodded. “No. Please.” The woman begged. “Can you stay?” she looked at Skye with pleading eyes.

“I’ll go after the guy. You get her inside.” Tristan replied as he took off. Tristan a.k.a Breeze had super speed. Skye never really thought of it as a power that could be used to fight another person. Running away, however, was a definite check.

“Come on.” Skye pulled her arm over her shoulder wincing as she realised she had a wound. Skye pulled her up and helped her up the stairs to the door. As she shuffled around her pockets to find the keys, Skye’s mind wandered away. The time she had spent with Tristan was probably the best time of her life. But she got too scared of what might happen that she didn’t even want to think of it. Skye didn’t need to be told that she had commitment issues. She knew she did but she couldn’t do much about it. The only one who was constantly around in her life was Bacchus and it wasn’t like he could run away anywhere even if he wanted to. He worked at the bar she went to every night.

“Thank you so much.” The woman said as the lift pinged open. She lived on the seventh floor. The building looked pretty old, like a run down motel. She stopped in front of her door and began to unlock it.

“Well, I think you can take care of yourself now,” Skye said as the woman walked inside.

“No. You should come in. I’ll make you some tea?” She asked.

Skye shrugged. “Coffee would be better. Thanks.” She said entering. The house looked as bland as the outside did. One chair in the middle of the living room and a single bed in the bedroom. The kitchen was basically just a counter with a stove and a sink.

“So, you must be Bane, right?”

“You have heard of me,” Skye commented as she walked about the living room.