PART ELEVEN

Cole Brandon's POV

It was a routine day, just like any other day. I strolled back to the restroom exhausted after the hectic work. I saw the kids playing in the play area. A kid peeped through the glass doors and asked me to come inside. When I nodded a no, he asked me again, with a puppy face. I smiled at him and went inside. Relaxation to me was this, most of the time.

I play and laugh with the kids here. I guess seeing that little soul laugh and forget the pain is enough for me to still keep going in my profession.

Many a times it so happens that kids will never obey and accept what is given to them. They don't know the value and even if they know, they will get to know more about it by breaking it.

And... one such kid was...

Sky...

Scarlett...

Dr Scarlett Finney

I knew her from the undergraduate course in my University.

I fell in love with her, the very first time I saw her.

And I was the guy who never existed for her until the first time I was introduced by a common friend.

"You? From my university? I have never seen you there." That is what she said the moment we just met.

And that moment I realised, I have been seeing her from a long distance most of the time, that she was never able to even notice me.

God!

"Yeah!" I gave a crooked smile.

We started to hang out a lot. Sounds Happy-Happy? But No.

It is with our friends together. Our whole Gang of friends.

And sometimes she doesn't join too. I end up sulking the whole trip.

Once on such trip to the beach, we pestered her to come and join along. She agreed and I made sure that I shouldn't lose this chance.

As we were about to leave, I found her standing alone and looking at the sea.

I wish I could freeze the moment and keep looking at her like this.

I walked to her and stood beside. She smiled looking at me.

"Beautiful, right?" I asked her looking at the sunset.

"Yeah! One of the. I was in Iowa once. The sunset there was way more beautiful."

I saw the tiny smile creep her face and then she blushed.

"Sky" I called her and she turned towards me. I took a deep breath mentally and cleared every other thought that was questioning me how wrong this moment would turn.

"Will you come on a date with me?" I asked her looking straight on her eyes. She looked perplexed. Her expression changed to an uncomfortable smile.

"Cole..." She smiled at me and slapped me on my shoulder.

I still waited for an answer.

"No..." She dragged and I cut it out that I was just kidding.

It hurts to do that but I did, on the fear of losing her friendship.

Some days later, I asked her again and she never said anything.

Once

Twice

Then I lost count...

Sometimes she says "No" and most of the times it is just silence.

The only hope and courage for me to ask her out again and again was that she never replied with a hatred. Even when she says a "NO" she makes it a point not hurt me.