An elderly couple stepped forward and bowed their heads, their hands clasped in reverence.  

(I recommend playing the song from 0:10. I feel like it really helps the scene.)

The warm smile that formed on Jaslynn's face conveyed a thousand and one words– each one dedicated to reassuring them that all the pieces to their broken hearts would fall in place and that she had no regrets for what she did. 

The couple murmured their gratitude and well-wishes, and she bobbed her head at them as they moved aside for the next wolf.

One by one, they all bowed their heads and thanked her– some in tears, some with joy. She returned each one with a small dip of her head, her eyes glistening as she was moved by their gestures. 

Meanwhile, I was in awe of the whole motion as well. It wasn't everyday a group of at least one hundred proud wolves bent their heads in respect to a woman they had just met.

When the final wolf walked away, I climbed the platform as she laughed, sniffling and shaking her hair back, "I was not expecting that."

"You are one crazy bitch," I mumbled loud enough for her to hear, "But I know the pack is grateful for your craziness. That was the first time I've seen them pay their respects like that to a living being. I just wish that all of this will not be in vain."

"It won't be," she stated confidently, "Alrik is stubborn, but he doesn't know that I can beat him at his own game. My punishment might be for two weeks, but I'll sit out here in a peaceful protest until he comes and breaks these chains himself. And I know that will happen, it will just take some time."

"I believe you," I nodded slowly, "I'm actually gonna go check on him now to see how he feels, but I'll be back. Hang tight."

She rolled her eyes, "I'm hanging with everything I've got here."

"Good, keep it that way," I said, jumping off the wooden stage, "See you later, Luna."

***

JASLYNN

My arms were starting to get sore in these shackles, the cuffs were digging into my hands, and my feet were definitely asleep.

But it was all worth it.

To see the glimmer of hope light up in his pack members gave me the strength to hang here for as long as I needed to, and not one part of me regretted what I had done.

The adrenaline that was pumping through my body made the whippings seem like little slaps on the wrist. The stinging and burning didn't chime in until after everyone had left me to return to their regular business.

The lashes would probably leave scars, but I had told the pack warrior to not hold back, to give me the thrashing he would give anyone else.

 At the end of the day, the scars would be a symbol of my strength and determination, and I would proudly wear them when Alrik came to his senses, whenever that was.

I couldn't forget the haunted expression on his face when he saw me in the swing. The Alrik I had gotten to know would have ripped them off of me instantly, but the Alrik that had stood before me had been Alpha Alrik, and he would never go against pack law.

'No one was above pack law.'

He had said those words numerous times until it was drilled into my head, and now those very words were coming back to haunt him.

The irony.

The sun had gone down, and the only light around me were the dim street lamps that did nothing than highlight the shadows of the pack warriors surrounding the perimeter.

For one prisoner, they had extremely tight security, although a part of me believed the reason for their presence was Alrik's doing.

I sighed and rotated my stiff neck as my eyes sought out the pack warrior that had whipped me. He was standing not too far away with his eyes trained on me and his arms crossed as if he was expecting someone to attack at any moment.

"Excuse me," I called, capturing his attention in an instant. He dipped his head in response, "Luna."

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Jefferson."

"Jefferson," I repeated, "Do you know what I'm supposed to do if I need to use the restroom?"

He glanced at his watch, "In another hour, you'll get a bathroom break and we'll take you to the bunkers for exactly five minutes before you have to be chained again."

"Oh good, so I don't need to pee my pants. That would have been uncomfortable."

"Yes," he cleared his throat awkwardly, "Alpha Alrik figured it wasn't sanitary to force the punished wolves to urinate in their places."

I blinked and stared at patches of dried vomit and blood near the other stations, "But that is?"

"Wolves aren't really bothered by it. In fact, it's normal for us."

I crinkled my nose, realizing how I had gotten used to the smell, "I'm not used to the sight, but at least the smell doesn't make me want to throw up anymore."

He nodded, "Is that all, Luna?"

Before I could respond, a dark hooded figure came running into the punishing grounds. Jefferson straightened and frowned at the wolf, "Who's there?"

"It's only me, Jeff."

Reece pulled her hood off and smiled at him, "I thought I would relieve you of your duties so you could get dinner. I'll watch over Luna Jaslynn in the meanwhile."

Jefferson looked reluctant but as Reece raised her eyebrows at him, he conceded, "Of course, Commander Reece. We'll take our dinner break."

He gestured to the other wolves surrounding the grounds, and their shadows trailed off between the buildings as they left, leaving Reece and me in the dim yellow light.

"I get the feeling you didn't just want them to have their dinner break," I said, giving her a pointed look as she smiled sheepishly and shrugged, "I may have had an ulterior motive."

"And what would that be?"

She waved to someone behind her, and another hooded figure appeared under the light. 

"Jaslynn," Reece said excitedly as the figure began to pull their hood off,

 "I want you to meet Alma Kuznetsov, your future mother-in-law."

Alrik's mother has arrived! What do you think will happen? And what do you guys think of the scene with the pack thanking Jaslynn? The song I chose was a cover of Rise Up by Andra Day. The original is beautiful, but I thought the non-pop version suited the scene better. Anyhow, what do you think will happen next? 

Next chapter is going to take a turn 😳

Confession of the Day: I quite literally cried after reading your comments last chapter. You guys make my life.

LOVE YOU ALL *MWAH*