Chapter XXXI | TEACH ME HOW TO SAY GOODBYE

Start from the beginning

-No...No... Jack...- I said already crying, about to collapse . I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the love of my life .

-No... It's going to be okay .

-I need some time alone- I said with my best effort, trying to keep my tears inside and closing the door, but he put his foot to stop it .

-No, he is fine, Jack is fine .

-What? Really?- I said, now really crying, but laughing at the same time .

-He should get here tomorrow first thing in the morning, he just wanted me to tell you, so you wouldn't worry .

-Thank you- I said while the biggest smile was drawn on my face- Thank you very much .

-My pleasure and nice to meet you .

-Nice to meet you too .

-Have a good night- he said doing a gesture with a tip of his hat, saying goodbye.

-I will, thank you- I said closing the door and leaning on it, covering my mouth trying to process what had just had happened .

      I ran upstairs looking for my son and found him sleeping angelically . I looked at him, picturing him with his father once again . I pictured him running towards him with his smile . I imagined both of them laughing and playing . I could now see them both in the future playing baseball, fishing, having a man to man talk, riding their horses, everything . Peter would grow up with a father . I picked him up and took him to bed with me, knowing I wouldn't fall asleep until hours later due to the excitement of meeting my loved one again .

Some hours later...

       I fluttered my eyes open, waking up, and felt my son's soft curls on my arms . I looked to my side yawning while I heard a lot of noise coming from outside . People were talking a lot and there was a distant sound of horses coming towards us . I jumped out of my bed, after putting my son's head gently on the pillow, and looked outside my window . They were getting here... the mounties were getting here! I looked back at my son smiling and he stared at me with his blue eyes . I picked him up laughing, because my smile wasn't enough to express my happiness, and ran downstairs to leave the house and look for Jack to be with him after one year and a half. With my coat on and holding my son I rushed towards the hubbub. There I found all my friends smiling at me . RoseMary and Lee were holding Charlotte while they came towards me with Abigail and Cody, which asked me to hold Peter. Then, a cloud of dust started appearing and that meant they were very close .

   Slowly, I started seeing the first mountie arriving and then tons of them entered the town in a line, on their horses .

-JACK!!- I shouted from the crowd .

-ELIZABETH!- I heard my man saying from the distance.

   At first I couldn't see him, which was making me desperate, but then I felt his hand going around my waist. I turned around and our eyes met. His hazel eyes, full of tears, looked deeply at mine. Then, all the noise started fading away, until it was only us. I put my hands around his neck and gave him the tightest hug anybody has ever given. His strong arms around me told me he was never leaving me again. We laughed and cried and hugged and kissed for 5 minutes straight. I was over the moon now that I could smell him again, touch him again, kiss him again, see him again and hearing his manly voice again. I placed a passionate and deep kiss on his soft lips.

-I love you and you mean to me more than anything in this world.- he said between tears.

-Oh, I missed you dearly, Jack.

   The world had stopped. There was no one else but us two. I finally felt complete and full again. I can't describe the joy I experienced at that moment.

-Look who's here!- Abigail said coming towards us with Peter in his arms- It's daddy!

-Hello little man! You've grown so much!- Jack said hugging him and caressing his little curls. Jack smiled and held him tight.

-Are you happy Peter?- I said trying to make him talk.

    He said a "yes" mispronouncing the "s" and Jack fell in love with his voice. He couldn't believe how he already talked and that he was one and a half years old.

    We were just in time to see the sunrise and it was perfect. My whole family and all my friends there, watching the pink, yellow and orange colors blending in the sky and feeling the joy of having Jack and all the mounties back.

    Since that moment everything in Hope Valley went perfectly. Carson after a very long time finally declared his love to Faith and, of course, she felt the same way; Clara and Jesse came back from their honeymoon; Frank, Abigail, Cody and Becky continued their lives happily; Charlotte got cuter each day and RoseMary and Lee were in love with her; I opened a new library in town that Jack built; George and Lucy had their ups and downs like all siblings do, but got along really well and loved each other very much; Nala and Bailey were huge now, they had fully grown; Everyone was living in a kind of fairytale.