Start-of-Term Feast

Start from the beginning

A short while later the Baron stopped in front of a stone gargoyle, clearing his shuffled and restless thoughts.  His mind never seemed to stop anymore, having to hold more knowledge than it was supposed to. His caution, borderline paranoia really, analyzed everything it could, having been years on the run from the days sorcerers started to burn and hang again. It had lessened as those years passed but would never fully disappear, he knew. A shiver raced down his spine as he tried to find what caused the effect. Merlin met the eyes of the Baron who's eyes showed uncharacteristic concern that was hidden as soon as Merlin focused his attention on the ghost.

"Thanks," Merlin whispered, not sure how else to respond to the ghost getting himself out of his head.

"Call it a favor, a trade for your identity, your real one," The Baron whispered back, looking around to make sure they were still alone.

"You'll have to wait a while then," Merlin responded, snorting. They would both live forever and while Merlin didn't particularly like being in one's debt he knew the Baron would wait.

"One day. One day you will let someone in, Emrys and when that day comes I expect a name," Narrowing his eyes as Merlin nodded. Satisfied, the ghost gave a shallow bow and left Merlin by floating through a wall, the silence and stone his only companion once more. Sighing, Merlin stepped forward, the gargoyle springing back without a password, recognizing his magic and him being a headmaster of the school.

Merlin brushed his fingers over the stones as he walked up the flight of stairs, age having done wonders for the castle as it grew older with grace. There were cracks in the occasional stone but otherwise, they were smooth and chilled despite the summer humidity.

"Are you sure you want a gargoyle to guard the entrance to the office?" Godric asked, making a face at the crudely carved stone.

"It isn't finished yet," Merlin snipped, grabbing his chisel back from his pouting son, " besides, the headmaster's office is not a valuable treasure to be protected from thieves," focusing back on the feathered wings.

"Why even have a password then, what happened to the open door policy you talked about?" Godric asked, grabbing the bread from Merlin's plate he had yet to touch. For his part, Merlin just rolled his eyes.

"There are a few secrets I would like to keep from students and a certain son who won't teach his students," giving a pointed look to said child hovering anxiously at the door.

"We both know you wouldn't have eaten with your new...project and it was my turn to come," shrugging as Merlin narrowed his eyes.

"Taking turns..." Merlin mumbled to himself in disbelief, his own children were ganging up on him. Sure, to get him to eat but he was still their father and he did not appreciate being babied about his health, it's not like starvation would kill him. Nonetheless, he finds his eyes softening as Godric looks down at him with worry. He tries to give a reassuring smile but falls flat because he knows it won't last forever.

"Get out of your head, Father," Godric whispers. Merlin looks up to find Godric a lot closer than before, having crouched to be on eye level with him. He looks so sad, like he knows what Merlin was thinking about. Merlin clears his throat, the tender moment gone, and Merlin reaches for the fork to start eating.

Truthfully, he doesn't know why a gargoyle, even though it's going to be a Phoenix, he's never had very fond memories of the stone creatures. Perhaps that was why, for it to finally be associated with something like this memory with Godric that he can think about instead of eventually having to live without Helga's smile, and Rowena's wit, Salazar's dry humor, and Godric's steadfast loyalty. Something that might get him killed one day, just like Arthur. Goddess, Godric reminds him of Arthur so much, from his look (though Godric's hair is red) to his personality (mainly loyalty and a pure heart, courage beyond measure. The only thing lacking was the arrogance as Merlin made sure his children knew they were no better than the next person, each special, but never below the common man). It made him cry those first few days he took them in, it only happens occasionally nowadays, but he knows Godric knows that he reminds Merlin of someone, but he has never had the courage, not like Arthur and not like Godric, to tell him who.