The annual visit

When I woke up the next morning I looked out my window and saw that its pouring. I headed downstairs for breakfast and I saw mom in the kitchen. Her back was turned to me and I could hear her sniff.

"Good morning mom." I say as I entered the kitchen. I saw her quickly wipe her tears and she turned around smiling at me, but I knew the smile is fake.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yes, there was just something in my eyes." she lied. We continued through the rest of the morning quietly. When I got to the school I went to the auditorium like always. I plopped down in the seat next to Laurel.

"Are you going to see your dad today?" she asks kindly. I nodded my head. "Can you say hi for me?"

"Yeah." I say without much feeling.

"Thanks." Its pretty quiet for the rest of the time. Then the bell rang and we went to class. My whole day kind of sad and gloomy.

When I got home I went straight to my room to change. I put on a black dress with no sleeves, the skirt went down to my knees. There was a red fabric flower on the belt of the dress. Then I clipped my hair up into a bun.

While I waited for mom I watched Fairy Tail. I got through two episodes when I hear, "I'm home!" I crawled of my bed as I fixed my dress. I walk into the kitchen.  

"Are you ready to see dad?" mom asked with a hint of sadness in her voice. I nodded my head as we slipped our shoes on and we grabbed the big umbrella and the flowers. We walk since it isn't far. We don't say anything, its just quietness. Then after a few minutes of walking we make it to the gates of a cemetery. We stroll past many graves of people I didn't know.

Finally we made it to a grave stone with the words 'Here lies Noah Turner. Loving husband and caring father. 1979-2016.' I crouch down to place the bouquet of flowers in front of the grave stone then I place my hand on the stone.

"Hi Dad. Long time no see." I blinked my eyes a few times to stop the oncoming tears. I hear a sniffle from behind me. I stood up and faced mom. Tears were running down her face and I embraced her in a hug. "I think Dad would want to see us smiling, not crying." I say quietly.

"I'm sure your right." Mom replied wiping her eyes with her thumb. Mom wraps her arm around around me and starts singing I join in too.

(Cue the music!)

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be
For though they will be parted, there is still a chance they will see
There will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
There will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper word of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be

And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me
Shine until tomorrow, let it be
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, yeah let it be
There will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, yeah, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

I sigh as we finish the song. "That was you father's favorite song." Mom said

"Really?"

"Yeah." We stood there in silence looking at the grave. "Well we should head back for dinner."

"Okay, bye Dad." I say before turning away with mom. We walk quietly as the house came into view. Once we are inside I go to my room to change into a pair of sweatpants and a old gray t-shirt, while mom went to the kitchen to start dinner. Like every year Mom was making tacos.

When I came out Mom was nearly done. She looked up and noticed I'm there.

"You want to start the movie?"

"Sure." I say as I walked into the living room. I turn on the TV and go to Netflix. I find the movie Guardians of the Galaxy.

(Flashback)

"So what are we going to watch?" Mom asks scanning Netflix.

"Guardians of the Galaxy!" dad says enthusiastically .

"But we watched that last night." I complain. Mom and I started laughing at the puppy eyes Dad gave us.

"What are you guy laughing at?" Dad asks confused.

"Your... face..." I say gasping for air. Suddenly I yelp as dad pulls me over to him. He starts tickling my sides.

"Dad... stop!" I say in between laughs. My face was probably really red. I could feel tears coming into my eyes.

"Not until I finish getting my revenge!" he says playfully.

(End flashback)

I smiled as I remembered that moment. Guardians of the galaxy was dad's favorite movie. Mom walked in with the now finished tacos. She brung me my taco and we got comfy on the couch.

Throughout the movie we laughed at funny parts and sang to the songs. About half way through the movie my eyes lids started to feel heavy. I could feel my self nodding off.