𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕺𝖓𝖊 | 𝕰𝖉𝖎𝖙𝖊𝖉

Shadowbrook - 2021, Present day

ɆⱤł₭₳

The smell of freshly cut grass drifted across my meadow, clippings scattered over the turf. The branches of my giant oak tree swayed to and fro in the wind, shedding leaves like raindrops.

A cordate leaf landed on my shoulder—the green fading into patches of brown, signalling the start of autumn.

I'm dreaming again, aren't I?

The meadow was my happy place, a destination that filled me with joy as I spun in circles, trying to catch the leaves with the palms of my hands. From the momentum of twirling around, a few leaves ended up in my unmanageable hair. I tried picking the leaf from my short strands, but it flaked into tiny fragments, crumbling against my fingertips.

I dreamt about spending time here because it reminded me of Mum and the happy times we shared. We would visit the local park not far from our house. All the other children would run to the swings or the climbing frames.

Not me, though.

I loved watching the different seasons unfold. The way the sun turned the vibrant green leaves to a golden brown, curling around the edges.

I used to hunt the playground for the perfect set of leaves and crunch them with the bottom of my shoe, hence why my favourite season was autumn. For me, it was the process of change that I admired. Our surroundings undergo a constant transformation, bringing me closer to nature. I cherished being in the present moment.

The meadow looked picturesque, like one of those John Constable paintings. The scenery had the same balance of colour with light and shade in all the right places.

It was perfect weather for an outdoor picnic as the sun shone and no clouds were in sight. I imagined the sweetness of the strawberries on my tongue, satisfying my cravings. Dad would bring sliced pineapple, and we would eat them together. The contrast between the two sent my taste buds into overdrive.

A dull ache formed within my chest as I reminisced about days gone by and wondered once again why I was alone. Heartache, perhaps? Or is it not knowing what the future will bring?

I kicked the grass clippings with my converse and pulled up the sleeves of my woolly jumper, letting the rays of the sun soak into my washed-out complexion. A collection of trees and bushes guarded the perimeter of the spacious meadow. The colours of the leaves and shrubs mixed like a well-used artist's palette.

A figure between the olive-green shrubs caught my eye, and as soon as I noticed them, they vanished from sight. I furrowed my brows and stared at the empty spot where the figure stood a few moments ago.

Okay, I'm officially hallucinating.

I fiddled with my oversized jumper and hid my hands underneath my sleeves.

My aunt Adalee bought the jumper when she was on vacation in Switzerland and thought I would grow into it.

News flash, Aunt Adalee, I'm still a short arse with tiny arms.

I stopped growing when I hit fifteen.

What can I say? Puberty hit me early.

An insect flew past and landed on the bark of the oak, its turquoise wings spread out to show off its beauty. I crept up to the oak to get a closer look at the dragonfly without scaring it away.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" said a masculine voice behind me.

I jolted; my sudden movement caused the dragonfly to flee as I spun around to face the stranger.