Chapter 45

The hunt goes smoothly. They kill the werewolf before it gets to too many more people, and the boys escape with little more than few scratches and bruises. The ride home is when the serious issues start.

"We need to talk about Gabriel."

Sam looks over at his brother, confused. "What's there to talk about? He's just hanging around the bunker. He's not doing anything."

"That's my point," Dean says. "He doesn't do anything. He was at the bunker for a solid week, and we had no idea."

"Yeah, which means he didn't hurt anyone," Sam says. "We don't know what he'd be up to if he was out and about. At least now we know he's contained."

"'Contained'?" Dean repeats, incredulous. "He could easily just fly out of there. He doesn't even need to fly — he could just walk out the door. Hell, for all we know, he's killed all of Kansas since we left."

"No, he hasn't," Sam says. "He wants to stay at the bunker, more than he'd like to admit. It's safe there. He's not going to do anything to jeopardize that. We don't have to worry about him as long as he's trying to earn his way into the bunker."

"I hope you're right," Dean says. "But I don't know if I believe it."

"You don't have to believe it," Sam says. "Just give it a chance. It looks like he's been trying to stay out of our way. You'll probably barely notice he's there."

~~

The worst part of the hunt has to be the pouring rain that starts as they near the bunker. Even just running from the car to the door leaves them all soaked.

"Is Gabriel still here?" Jack asks as soon as they're inside.

"Probably," Sam says. "He told me he would be."

"Where do you think he is?" Jack asks.

Sam shrugs. "Library?"

"I'm gonna go check," Jack says, disappearing with the flap of his wings.

"I'm glad Jack seems to be enjoying this, at least," Castiel remarks.

"I'm not," Dean says. "I don't trust Gabriel alone with him."

Before anyone can protest, Dean stalks off, presumably heading towards the library.

"I don't know about you," Sam says, "but I'd trust Gabriel alone with Jack more than I would Dean and Jack."

"I agree," Castiel says. "Gabriel is far more likely to act up when Dean is there."

So, both Sam and Castiel head to the library as well. Sure enough, Gabriel is there, sitting on the table as he chats with Dean and Jack. Dean doesn't look amused, but Jack seems to be enjoying himself. Gabriel stops talking when he sees Sam and Castiel, but he smirks slightly.

"Wow, who let the wet dog in?" Gabriel asks, eyeing Sam's drenched hair.

Sam doesn't dignify that with a response. Instead, he remarks, "You're still here."

"I told you I would be," Gabriel replies with a shrug.

"Well, you're not exactly the most trustworthy person on the planet," Dean says.

"Did I ask?"

"We just got back," Sam says, crossing his arms over his chest in annoyance. "Can we not start fighting yet?"

Gabriel shoots Dean a glare. "He started it."

"I'm literally surrounded by children," Sam mutters.

*Speaking of," Gabriel says, "your mom wanted me to tell you that she's at the grocery store."

"Oh, so you haven't just been home up here in silence for the last few days," Dean remarks. "You're actually being useful. That's a first."

Sam shoots him a look. That's exactly what they were just talking about. When's he going to realize that Gabriel sitting down and shutting up is the best thing he could be doing?

But before Sam can speak, Gabriel shoots back with, "Well, you weren't around anymore. I figured I didn't have to worry about anyone nagging my ear off anymore."

"Will you please stop fighting?" Jack asks. "We're supposed to be a family."

"No, we aren't," Dean and Gabriel say in unison.

"Yes, we are," Jack says. "'Family don't end in blood,' remember? You told me that, Dean."

Sam cocks his head to the side, puzzled. Dean told him that? Dean has always been the least familial with him. Sure, they're much closer now than they were when they first took Jack in, but close enough to bring up Bobby's quote?

"We're not family," Dean repeats sternly. "He's only here so we can keep him out of trouble."

"Isn't that why you kept me here?" Jack asks. "Just to 'keep me out of trouble'?" He frowns, clearly wondering if the same applies to him.

"That's different," Dean says.

"Is it, now?" Gabriel asks, raising an eyebrow. "Please, do explain."

"Okay, you can shut the fuck up," Dean snaps.

"No, I'm interested," Gabriel says. "What exactly is the difference? Because word in hell was that you only took the kid because it was Cassie's dying wish, even though you wanted nothing to do with him. Now, if I understand correctly, I'm only here because Sam or Castiel or whoever wants me to be, and you're forced to put up with it."

"That's not true," Jack says, though he doesn't seem too sure.

"You know what the difference is?" Dean asks. "I like Jack. He has a conscience. He doesn't get off on murdering innocent people."

"Okay, first of all, I don't murder innocent people," Gabriel says. "Hell, if anyone murders innocent people, it would be you."

Dean scoffs. "Excuse me?"

"Oh, you have to be kidding." Gabriel rolls his eyes. "You don't even know you're doing it, do you? You don't think any of it through. You're really out there stabbing people when their only crime was being possessed by a demon, and you've never even thought about them?" He shakes his head. "Wow, and you thought I was the bad guy. At least I know what I'm doing, and I keep the collateral damage to a minimum."

That seems to be what breaks him, because Dean balls his hands into fists, fuming. "Listen, you son of a bitch," he growls.

Gabriel just clasps his hands in his lap, a small smile on his lips.

"You don't get to pretend to have the moral high ground," Dean snaps. "We do what we have to do. You —"

There's a loud crash of thunder, and Gabriel disappears.

"Dean, why'd you do that?" Jack asks with a frown. "I was trying to tell him about the hunt."

"Don't."

"What?" Jack asks, confused.

"Don't talk to him," Dean says. After a brief pause, he looks at Sam and adds, "That goes for you, too. He's here for the shelter. That's it."

With that, Dean storms off, leaving everyone else behind in silence.

A/N I literally got a chapter and a half written today what is this sorcery