Chapter 25

Sam is sure this is where they left everyone, but the only person still waiting for them is Castiel. Jack runs over and gives him a hug, which Castiel returns without hesitation, and it's clear in his face that he's happy to see the boy again.

"Where's Gabriel?" Sam asks, purposely leaving out Ketch's name, because Mary still doesn't know about him. It's probably best to hold off on telling her about him for as long as possible.

"I'm not sure," Castiel replies.

Dean scoffs. "You're not sure? The guy's our only ride out, and you just lost him?"

"You try keeping an angsty archangel and an overly curious human out of trouble," Castiel says defensively. "I did my best, but without my wings, I can't keep up with him."

"Well, where did Ketch go?" Dean asks. "He doesn't have wings. How could you possibly lose him?"

Sam has to resist the urge to strangle him. So much for not mentioning Ketch.

"Wait, slow down," Mary says. "Ketch? Arthur Ketch?"

"No, Alexander Ketch," Dean says sarcastically.

"It's a long story," Sam says. "We'll explain it all when we get back."

"If we get back," Dean adds. "But without Gabriel, we're screwed."

"And Gabriel is...?" Mary prompts.

"Again, long story, we'll explain later," Sam says. "But he'll be here. This is what he does. He leaves and then he comes back."

"Well, he better make it fast," Dean says. "I don't know when you opened that rift, but time has to be getting low."

"And when time runs out?" Mary asks hesitantly, already sure she doesn't want to know the answer.

"The rift closes, and we're stuck here."

"Where did they go?" Sam asks Castiel. "They didn't just disappear without saying anything, right?"

"Supposedly, they were just dropping Ketch off back at the rift," Castiel says. "But that was a while ago. If that were it, Gabriel would have come back by now."

"Well, we have to try something," Dean says. "Sam, go pray to him."

"What? Why me?"

Dean rolls his eyes. "Do you honestly think he would come back if anyone else wanted him to? He barely even talks to anyone but you. Just go for it."

"What do I even say?" Sam asks.

"I don't know! Just tell him to get his ass back here!"

Sam sighs. "Fine. Um... Gabriel? Come back? We kinda need you over here?"

Dean scoffs. "That's it? That was the stupidest 'prayer' I've ever heard."

"Yeah? You try it, then," Sam snaps.

"I did! For years! Gabriel's not the first angel on the team."

"Aw, you think I'm part of the team?" Gabriel says with an exaggerated smile, appearing behind him. "That's the nicest thing you've said about me since we talked about strippers."

Instead of mentioning that last part with Mary standing right there — it's awkward enough as it is — he says, "Dude, where the hell have you been?"

"Exploring," Gabriel replies. "This place is so much cooler than anything I've dreamed up, and I managed to stay away from Michael and Lucifer."