The Role You Were Born to Play

Start from the beginning

Sam sighed. Maybe Sebastian was right not to reach out to his brother, "Anyways, you doing the play?"

"Mr. Schuester already said I could work backstage," Barry answered.

"You're not going to try out for a part?"

"No way! The glee club is one thing, but the school musical, not my thing. I worked backstage at my old school and that was pretty fun. Which part are you going for?"

"Kenickie," Sam said instantly. The rest of the conversation was about the musical, Glee Club, and their upcoming history test, but Sam couldn't help but think about Sebastian and Barry.

*****

Barry had had enough of Blaine's moping. He walked up to him during lunch and asked, "Okay, I don't care what happened between you and Kurt, but you need to snap out of this."

"How can I?" Blaine asked. "He won't even talk to me. We haven't even officially broken up."

Barry sighed, "I've never had a relationship like your's, Blaine, and I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about, but If he won't talk to you, it's probably because he knows it won't change anything. You'll still be broken up."

Blaine shook his head, "I know, but I-we can't move on unless we talk. Even if we never make up, even if we never speak again, we can't leave it like this. We need some kind of closure."

"What if he doesn't want to talk?" Barry asked.

"Then he can listen," Blaine answered. "I just want to talk to him when we've both had time to think and know what we want. In New York, we didn't talk because I had just told him. It was too hard. Now that he's had time to think about it, I just want to know where we stand. Even if that means breaking up."

*****

Barry was walking down the hallway and saw Finn coming from the other way with two other people about his age. One was an Asian guy and the other a dark-skinned girl.

"Hey, Finn," Barry smiled as they passed.

"Hey, Barry! Are you sure you don't want a part in the musical? We're going to need someone to play Danny Zuko since Blaine's not up for it," Finn said, giving him a hopeful smile.

Barry shook his head no, "Thanks, but Marley couldn't even convince me to try out to be an extra. No way am I going out for the lead. I don't even think I could do it. Sorry, but you'd be better off with someone else."

"You sure?" the other guy asked. "Even if it's not Danny, we're going to need more guys."

"It's not every day you find a guy who likes musicals and can sing," the girl added.

Barry shrugged, "Maybe. If you need any more people, let me know, but I'm not a good enough dancer to play Danny and I have no acting experience whatsoever."

"Okay, see you later," Finn said and the three walked off, talking to each other about other guys who might want to play Danny.

Barry made his way to the auditorium to watch Marley and Unique audition. They did Blow Me One Last Kiss by P!nk. After telling Finn, Artie, and the others what parts they were interested in, they ran off the stage together, and Barry gave them both a hug.

"You guys killed it!" Barry said, smiling.

"That was so much fun!" Marley said, "I hope I get the part. I want to do that again."

"If they don't give both of you the parts you want, I would think they're crazy."

"I don't know," Unique said, uncertainly. "I asked to play Rizzo."