•F O R T Y - N I N E•

Romain whipped a thick cloak over his silver-plated armor. He adjusted the wool fabric, and pivoted to Prudence, not a trace of emotion on his face.

"It is a solid plan."

Watching her sibling flee his own home because of her ex-lover's supposed proximity sent shivers down Prudence's spine.

She glimpsed the redheaded page boy waiting by the Study exit with Romain's tricorn helmet and scarf, then returned to Romain. "You are sure?"

They'd had little time to prepare. The instant he'd received news that Julia had arrived via carriage—he'd yelled at his guards about that—he dispatched men to fetch her, and a few more to sneak about the town in search of intruders. There had been two carriages entering, and only one was inspected. Romain panicked at what—or who—might have been in the second one. He'd stormed into his office, furious that his soldiers had allowed a Totresian lady to boss them into not doing their jobs properly.

In typical Giromian fashion, gossip spread fast. Minutes prior to Romain's return, the rumor of Julia's arrival—and the mystery of her entourage—caused an unprecedented panic in the castle. Ladies were leaving in haste, crowding inns, begging their fathers or husbands to let them go home. Noblemen were gearing up to follow Romain to Terter, or barking commands at their staff to pack up their things. Maids and butlers hid in the basement, and guards prowled the corridors, breaking into rooms in case Antoine had snuck in.

The overall atmosphere was one of anxiety and fright.

"No insignia on the doors? Faded auburn uniforms, like Cornelius reported? Over-packed carriages?" Romain scoffed as he tied his hair into a ponytail. "The plan is solid. I will leave quickly and once they find that culprit... that damned King... then I will return to confront him myself."

He'd claimed Cornelius waited at the Carriage Parking, and they'd ride to Terter together, to review potential battle plans. Though no army had been sighted, the Duke was convinced one lurked in the forest—and he hoped to ambush them.

Pauline sat before the desk, silent and solemn, watching as Prudence paced and Romain bundled up.

"But traveling at night? I dislike this." Prudence grunted, reviewing the situation in her mind, wringing her hands so much her fingers throbbed. She hadn't liked the idea of Romain going to Terter in the first place. Now, overreacting at Julia's appearance, letting Cornelius' exaggerated notions cramp into his head... she worried more. "The castle is safer. Antoine cannot have gotten in, there is no way. Stay with me, with us. Please. I will protect you from him."

"Stop." Romain shoved off the squire as he tried to affix a half-helm atop Romain's curls. He glared at Prudence, then pointed at Pauline. "She chose to remain with you, and that is her decision. But I will not stick around for him to trap me. I will save my country from a distance, and ambush him." He scoffed. "If Mother wants to be a prisoner of war, that is her problem." Fury and bitterness still tinted his tone. He hadn't spoken to Pauline since reading Céleste's letter, and when she'd asked to stay with her daughter, he'd thundered off, requesting his riding gear.