"I will and don't worry, you'll have it," I mumbled in response and as on autopilot, went towards the alcohol racks, in search of those Bourbon bottles.

The constant vibrating in the back pocket of my jeans, made me step out in the back of the establishment. Wiping my palms down on the black apron that was tied around my waist, I pulled my phone out of the pocket. I don't know why I expected for an unhealthy amount of missed calls and dozen texts from Jason. I guess the recent encounters with him, have that part of me stirred up again.

However I was met with three texts from an unknown number. Clicking on the very first message that I had received from that number, a humors smile formed on my lips.

hey this is luke from the tattoo shop

you didn't want me paying for your tattoos and piercings... so how about you repay me for them by hanging out with me?

you don't have to if you don't want to

oh god this isn't nicole spencer??? is that's why no one's answering??

if this isn't nicole spencer, i'm so sorry

Rolling my eyes at his dramatic behavior, I quickly typed out a response. Pressing send on the lengthy reply and before going back behind the bar, I turned off vibrate on silent. Stuffing my phone back in the pocket, I walked through the black curtain, my eyes instantly zeroing in on the people at the bar that were waiting on getting a refill or a drink in general.

"Did you hear?" Brian's voice rang in my ear as I was fixing a vodka on a rocks for a brown haired girl.

"Hear what?" I turned to him after I had placed the drink on the coaster. My full attention on him lasted total of ten seconds before I was wiping down some clean glasses so we had somewhere to serve drinks in.

"Word around the bar is that Cece got some investor for this place and she's expending the team," he announced, whiles making a drink for a customer. "Looking for a manager."

"So?"

"So? What do you mean so?" he looked at me with his eyebrows pulled together. "This is big. One of us could be getting a promotion as I skovered the internet and couldn't find a single ad for that position here."

Letting out a small chuckle, I went along with it, "What makes you think Cece would give any of us a promotion? Maybe she hasn't yet gotten around to it or she's still waiting on something."

"Yeah, waiting on weighing out each of us. Her giving one of us a promotion is the most logical thing to do. Why would she hire someone new, when there are four people here who already know this place?"

"Okay so who do you think would get this promotion?"

"Obviously me," he replied without hesitation and I wanted to roll my eyes at that. If only he knew. "I've been here the longest, so therefore she knows me the best and longest."

"I would die of laugher if she picked someone else."

"Why?"

"Because of you," I chuckled. "I can just picture it now. We're all seated in the front of the bar, Cece is standing in front of us, giving us the big news before announcing the manager. You're all ready and confident to stand up and receive the title, when she calls out someone else's name and you're forced to embarrassingly sit back down."

"Oh ha ha," he mocked me, turning his back on me as he pored Tequila in couple of shot glasses. "For the record, that wouldn't happen."

At six fifteen in the morning, I finally dragged my body inside of my apartment, instantly kicking off my sneakers. Turning the lock on the door, I dropped my keys down on the table top before pulling my phone out and heading inside of the kitchen.

For it being that early in the morning, I was starving.

Sending a quick I'm home text to Luke, I pulled out two bread slices and popped them inside of the toaster. Just as I opened the fridge to grab some yogurt, my phone started ringing. I smiled at the name on the caller ID before accepting the call and putting it on speaker.

"Good morning," Luke's voice rang through the device, "or is that good night, sweet dreams to you?"

"Not all of us can work day jobs, some of us need to work those middle of the night jobs," I replied as I cut up a banana. Luke let out a laugh at that. "More importantly, why are you up so early?"

"Who says I'm up early? Maybe I stayed up all night?"

"Did you?" I stopped cutting as I waited for his reply.

"Yeah," he let out.

"Why?"

"Well you told me we can talk after you finish work. And you finished work, right? Or did I read the text wrong?"

I laughed, I actually genuinely laughed, "You read it correctly. I do have to admit that I didn't expect you to actually stay up all night waiting when I'm off work."

"Yeah, well I had some depressive matters to attend," he announced from his side of the line.

"And what would they be, if its not a secret?"

"I'm assuming you're not from around here," he started, his observation skills making me raise an eyebrow. "The state fair is in town and I thought that maybe we could go? You seemed a little distraught or nervous, or on edge the day when you came into the shop."

"Actually I would really like that," I smiled and grabbed the toast out of the toaster. "To be honest, I have never been to one. They just never came to the city where I used to live."

Taking one of the blueberry yogurts out of the fridge, I placed everything on the tray before grabbing it and walking into the living room. The call with Luke still very much going on.

"Ok cool," I could hear the smile in Luke's voice as he spoke. "Are you working tonight?"

"No, no, I'm off today," settling down on the couch, I turned the T.V. on, instantly muting it so it doesn't talk over the phone call. "I need to go in tomorrow night."

"Great!" he exclaimed, "I'll pick you up at seven then, yeah?"

"Sure thing," I smiled. "I'll see you in the evening then."

"You definitely will. Oh wait, can you send me your address though? Otherwise I can't pick you up," he teased, agreeing that I'll text him my address right away we said our bye's before I cut an end to the call.

With that same smile, I typed out my address and pressed send. It's been a cold minute since I've last been on a date, or even just hung out with someone. And honestly I would be lying if I said that, I'm not nervous yet at the same time excited for tonight.

***
pick a team:
#teamnuke or #teamnason