🏮CHAPTER SIX🏮

Fortunately for Lihua, the party had been rather uneventful and she grew bored of it a few hours in.

She'd met and greeted at least 23 empresses, 18 emperors, any accompanying concubines, Eunuchs, servants, and of course, dozens of bratty, although energetic children. She'd been asked all sorts of questions, from who she'd appoint as a Eunuch when she was old enough, to how large of an army she'd like to command.

Lihua was very excited when she was brought into an adult conversation at dinner that involved politics, but she couldn't keep up. It was to be expected, having no prior education in it, but it made her feel frustrated and....inadequate.

Of course, she'd be taught everything soon, but still felt rather left out. All she had ever been taught was about the Seven Warring States in Crystal Arcadia : Huo, Shui, Diqiu, Feng, Shandian, Jinshu, and Guang— the Huo Empire being the most dominant of the seven. Or should she say six? Her father had told her that the Shui empire had been wiped out a long time ago while in battle with the Huo Empire. Her father described the people who could conjure up water and bend it to their will as despicable, malicious beings that would stop at nothing to harm and bring down the people of the Huo empire.

Lihua was proud that her father was the one that led the surprise attack that completely destroyed the Shui people, eliminating a natural enemy they'd been feuding with since the beginning of time(according to legend). She didn't know much else about the other states, but she was looking forward to learning about all of their practices, abilities, and sacred elements. Since she could remember, all she'd ever known or seen was her empire and the people in it — she was excited to learn and travel.

Lihua hadn't quite learned how to use her fire abilities, but the idea of it still fascinated her. If there were other empires out in the world, what could they do with their abilities? Would she get along with people outside of her own empire? She found herself quite lonely amongst very few like minded people as she was constantly kept away in the castle.

The people out there must be so interesting and different, Lihua thought to herself as she stood quietly in the middle of the dance floor surrounded by her dancing party guests. She'd been asked by a few handsome boys her age to dance, but she politely refused them all. They all seemed like complete snobs and Lihua was sure their conversation, if she gave them the time or day, would be nothing but them bragging about their possessions and weapons. Nothing interesting or funny like Zian always had to say.

The more Lihua stood motionlessly as her party guests moved around her, the more she developed a sense that she truly didn't belong there. She felt like something was just...terribly off. She didn't resonate at all with any of these people...and yet they'd all come here to celebrate her.

They're only here because I'm the princess. They don't really care about me, do they?

It didn't seem like anyone wanted to take the time to get to know her, or how she was feeling. Or what she was thinking.

I think I'm a bit disappointed...

"Would you like me to bring you anything, your highness?"

Lihua's spirits lifted when Zian came into view holding a plate of desserts. She wanted to ask him to run off somewhere quieter with her, but she knew she'd get scolded for it. Father wanted her to act more mature during the party, which meant she had to resist such urges to run off and play all of the time.

"No thank you, Zian." She gave a curtsey and Zian looked at her with a slight smirk, eyes shining. He leaned in close so his voice was at her ear and easier to hear over the music.

"Are you sure you don't want to run off anywhere?"

"I'm very sure. I should stay here and enjoy my guests."

"Hm? Mature Lihua is no fun."

"Don't say that," Lihua's expression brightened, feeling playful for the first time since the party had started, "I won't give you a kiss by the end of the night, then!"

"Your highness, please keep your voice down.." Zian blushed at her attempt at a threat and glanced cautiously around him for any suspicious reactions from people within earshot. When he realized that no one had heard them, he relaxed with a slight pout.

Lihua seemed pleased at Zian's reaction as he stepped away into the crowd to offer the drinks on the tray he was carrying. Perhaps her threat had actually bothered him and he was looking forward to the possibility of a kiss tonight as well.

Oh, it would be so romantic! Their first kiss under the beautiful veil of their favorite crystal willow tree! The night sky twinkling with brilliant stars. Lihua was sure she'd never forget it.

Her heart (which had been practically humming in her chest since this morning) felt as if it would explode if she overwhelmed herself with any more excitement on this day.

Lihua's thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of her father's voice calling out to the guests. A hush fell over the ballroom as everyone turned to face where he stood seated at his table toward the further end of the room.

Emperor Huo stood, waving off a servant who had attempted to offer him a drink before he'd made the announcement. Lihua's heartbeat quickened as she realized what the servants removing her father's dinner table were preparing for. They replaced the table with a throne and opened the balcony doors behind it to reveal the bejeweled golden mirror positioned upward to reflect light at the throne.

The sun was beginning to set, and soon the moon would rise high into the sky to brighten the night. Today would make the first golden full moon in over a century — a promising gift on the 13th birthday of a future dragon emperor. Once bathed under the light of the moon's golden rays, power hidden deep inside would unlock and be brought to the surface. Some called it an "awakening," or a time where true strength or "true identities" would finally be revealed.

Lihua was the most nervous about this part of the ceremony. The idea frightened her a bit. What if she couldn't control her powers when she got them? What if something went wrong at the ceremony? Would her father cast her aside and find a new heir?

As the crowd parted to create a pathway for Lihua to walk directly toward her throne, she looked across the room and met her father's reassuring gaze. She smiled back at him, feeling him encourage her in that silent, patient way he always had since she was a child.

No, Lihua took her first step, and then another, my father would never do such a thing.