the one with the cramps.

-nine-

Kate

As I walk into the school with Stryder and Noah by my side, everyone stares at me. Everyone knows how Daniel had 'gotten me back' but most kids were still on my side because apparently throwing a glass plate at someone's face is psychotic. Hm. They're also calling Vanessa a pussy because she had her older brother get me back. Everyone knows about Stryder's breakup and every girl is trying to get at him.

I personally think it's crazy because he literally just got out of a one-sided year-long relationship. That's pretty hard to come back from for most people. Each time a girl comes up to him he walks right past them and Noah and I laugh each time. The look of hurt on each of their faces each time was funny. As we continue walking through the hallway, Autumn and Ryan walk with us. A lot of people called us the new popular group. Obviously, this was weird for Autumn and me because we've never been 'popular' but the boys walk confidently.

***

We each go about our day, trying to keep to ourselves as much as possible. In my third period, Vanessa only stared at me. She literally did no work. I was scared at first but I realized there wasn't much she could do. So as I wait in line for food with Noah and Ryan, I keep an eye out for Vanessa and Daniel. Stryder and Autumn were already at a table waiting and each time a blonde girl walked past them my heart skipped a beat. The last thing Stryder needs is Vanessa saying anything to him. "Hey, Kate, calm down," Noah says smiling lightly. "Yeah, you're way too tense," Ryan says pushing me playfully to move with the line. "Stryder is a big boy, he'll be fine. On the other hand, you have Ryan and me to keep you safe from Daniel." I smile appreciatively at the boys. They smile back and we each grab a tray of food.

As we sit at the table I notice Stryder is gone. "Where'd he go?" Ryan asks Autumn. She looks at the doors. "I'm pretty sure the bathroom, he mumbled so I couldn't quite hear him." Ryan's eyes shoot to Noah's. They share a look and then stand up. "We're going to go check, be right back." Then they're gone. I look at Autumn aberrantly. "I'm sure they're fine. If anything were to be happening, Ryan would've told us, just calm down." I nod. Everyone keeps telling me to calm down but I have this feeling something is going on.

Ryan and Noah come rushing in quickly. "He's not in the bathroom and I have a bad feeling." They say, breathlessly. I stand up so abruptly, I get a few people's attention around me. I look at Autumn. "See," She rolls her eyes. "Come on, let's go. Ryan with me, Noah go with Kate." They nod and we go opposite ways. "Let's check the parking lot first," I suggest, Noah nods taking my wrist and making me walk faster. Once we step foot on the asphalt we immediately know he's not here. We turn around and realize the doors are locked. Noah lets out a frustrated yell. I turn around and see the gate open. "That's odd, shouldn't the gate be closed?" Noah turns and looks. He nods and starts running toward it. I do the same. Once we run through the gate I let out a loud scream, getting Stryder's attention.

His face was covered in blood splatters and he had blood dripping down both fists and his lip. The girl I am, I start crying. Noah throws his bag, using all his strength to pull Stryder off of Daniel. He spits on Daniel's unconscious body. "Don't ever touch Kate again, you dick." He adds dangerously, wiping his lip. He makes eye contact with my watery eyes. He's stone cold, there's no emotion. "Let's go before someone sees us. When he wakes up and says something I want you to be at home." He pushes Stryder to his car. He gets Stryder's keys and throws them to me. "You take his car home. I'll deal with him then meet you at your house." I nod, grabbing my phone and updating Autumn and Ryan. I tell them to stay in school, we'll deal with him.

I get into his car and start the journey home. For some bizarre reason, I can't stop crying. Seeing him so violent really did something to me. I can't even think about the image without gagging. Daniel really deserved the beating but I didn't want it to be done by Stryder. I don't want him getting in trouble for me. I called an ambulance so that Daniel won't bleed to death but I didn't give my name or reason. I figured being anonymous was best.