Chapter 10: Successful Failure

We were all gathered around the dining table eating. Suddenly a black bible wrapped with a blue rope fell from the roof and splashed the food you were eating. You were about to take the bible from the food but I was shouting on top of my voice don't take it, don't take it. It seemed you couldn't hear me at all. You took it and removed the rope from the bible. The moment you did that Maxwell, the dress you were wearing turned black, your face turned pale and blood started dropping from the roof. Eddy was standing there hopeless. Jasmine was sitting there still eating her food as if nothing had happened. I was shouting your name Maxwell, Maxwell then I woke up. I am so scared Maxwell. Don't be honey. Nothing bad will happen to us.

Where are the kids? They have gone out to buy something. I am sure they will be back shortly. Let me find something for you to eat before they come. No, don't worry I am ok. Just something small honey. I am ok Max. Besides, I can't eat anything unless they come back. Alright, I am sure they will be in very soon.

The car was at a full speed with no intention of decelerating. Jasmine closed her eyes and in a small voice said, here I come Owusu. Till the sun goes cold and the stars grow old. The car was very close. Eddy was still pressing his phone smiling not realizing what was going on. This Jasmine had almost completed her mission. At long last she is going to see Owusu again. She took another step and stood still again breathing slowly. Immediately, somebody pulled her backwards and shouted at her; young girl, what do you think you are doing? Nothing please. Didn't you see the car coming? The man realized her face was gloomy. Are you alright? Yes please. You sure? Yes I am very sure. Where are you going? I am going to get something from the store right there. Ok. Be very careful. These drivers nowadays don't care about any one. I will please. Thank you.

Jasmine, are you still standing there? Said Eddy. I am waiting for all the cars to pass before I cross. Hurry up its late. Alright. She crossed the road and went to the store. Eddy's phone started ringing. It was a call from Mrs. Brown. Hello Aunty. Eddy where are you guys? We are buying something we will be back shortly. Where is Jasmine? She is here. Ok. Hurry up and come home. It's already dark. Ok Aunty. We will be as fast as possible. Jasmine came back holding a big rubber bag in a hand. Jasmine what is in the bag? It's a surprise. I will show you when we get home. Let me hold it for you. They took a taxi in order to get home faster. Jasmine have you cried? Why are you asking that? Your face looks like you have been crying over a long time. Don't you remember I cried when we got there? Oh yeah I have now remembered.

Daddy we are back; shouted Jasmine. We thank God. Go and greet your mum before you enter your room. She was looking for you. Thanks a lot Eddy, I am really grateful. But won't you show me what is in the bag? Don't worry; you will see what's inside at the earliest moment. Eddy entered his room feeling very exhausted. Jasmine went to her mother. She left the bag outside, knocked and entered the room. 

Mum I was told you were looking for me. Yes I did. Where did you guys go to? We went to buy something outside. And you didn't ask permission from me? You were asleep so we asked permission from Daddy. Ok, by the way what did you go to buy? An ice cream. That's ok. Go to your room then. Food will be ready in next to no time. Alright mum. What did you cook? Rice with chicken and fried plantain. You like it. I love it mummy. Jasmine went inside and dropped the bag. She came back to the dining table. 

Eddy was already seated looking like he hadn't for about a month. Eddy, are you that hungry? I am hungrier than you can see. I bought you an ice cream shall I bring it to you? I would be grateful but wait till we are done with dinner.

Mr. Maxwell and Mrs. Brown joined them after a few minutes. Eddy was asked to pray and food was served. Hmmm Aunty, your food tastes the best. How I wish I marry a woman who can cook just like you do. Commented Eddy. Hei Mr. Man! Mr. Maxwell retaliated; there is no cook like my wife. You can find someone who can cook less than her but not just like her. Everybody cracked into laughter except Mrs. Brown. Mummy are you ok? Jasmine asked. 

Nothing to worry about Jasmine, your mother is fine. She had a bad dream that's why she is this moody but she is very fine. Mummy are you? Yes Jasmine. Your mother is fine. Mrs. Brown was still thinking about the dream she had earlier. What could that dream mean? It's something going to happen to my family? No way? She thought to herself.