Chapter 6: Owusu's tragic death

The drug had already caught his heart. His breath was slowly fading away. If only the clock would turn back; but there was no time left for him. He heard several knocks at the door but there was no strength left in his bones to open. The goodbye letter he had written was lying on his bed. His eyes turned red. Blood started oozing from his mouth. He couldn't hold on anymore. He regretted not trusting the love they shared. But it was too late to make amends. His heart stopped beating. Owusu kicked the bucket. Open the door Owusu, it's Jasmine. Please I beg you to open door. Owusu's father broke the door and entered. Owusu was lying on the floor lifeless.

Owusu's letter was lying on his bed whilst Jasmine's was lying on the table. Jasmine shook Owusu with all her strength. Baby please I am here for you. Please don't leave me this way. You are all I have got, Owusu please. Owusu please as she wept bitterly as hard as she could. Regina was also in a deep mourning reading the letter Owusu had written. She held Jasmines neck, pressing her against Owusu's body. You will also die today, you must die. Her father shouted at her to stop but she wouldn't listen. Then he grabbed her and pushed her away from Jasmine. Daddy leave me and let me kill this witch. She has killed my brother, the only sibling I have in this world. Daddy (crying), Owusu is gone. She deserves to also die. You could see tears have soaked her father's eyes. Stop it, she is somebody's daughter. Regina couldn't stop wailing her brother.

Jasmine got home devastated. She couldn't believe what had just happened. It felt like it was a dream but it was real. Owusu is gone, gone forever. She won't meet him again. The only guy she has loved her entire life.

It was all my fault. Regina was right. I have killed Owusu.

He was buried under the Baobab tree at the outskirts of the town. All her tears had finished. Even when she cried, no tears come out. The funeral came to a close, everybody left. She stood under the Baobab tree all alone. Owusu was in the ground. She threw herself on Owusu's grave and wept harder mentioning Owusu's name. The weather looked pregnant. The blue sky had given way for dark clouds to form. She stood in the rain but felt it not. You could hear thunders all over. The only pain she could feel was Owusu's death. It pierced her heart. I shouldn't have listened to my wicked parents. See what they have done to me. I will not forgive them, never. They must pay.

Jasmine got to her house confused and furious. She wouldn't talk to anybody, not even to Eddy, her cousin nor to her parents who had failed to attend Owusu's funeral. She went to her room and locked the door. Now the thoughts came running through her head. She thought of poisoning her parents so that they would follow Owusu to the grave but that would be very hard to do. Then she thought of burning the house at midnight but Eddy was inside with them.....So how then was she going to let her parents pay? She sat on the bed with her legs crossed sobbing Owusu. Then her phone started ringing...

It was her mum that even made her angrier. She hanged up and threw the phone on the bed and continued sobbing. The only name that could come to her lips was Owusu, her darling boy. Suddenly she remembered something; she had a picture of Owusu and her. They were eating ice cream at the children's park when they took that picture. The ice cream had soiled her mouth and Owusu was teasing her so hard she almost cried. She cried even more looking at the picture. This time her parent could hear her from outside.

Then she heard a knock at the door and a voice followed. She didn't answer but continued crying. Jasmine my darling please are you ok? She cleaned the tears from her eyes and responded, "I'm ok mum. I just want to be alone. Dinner is ready my dear. I have lost my appetite. I want to be left alone please. My dear if you need anything please let me know ok. Errm that reminds me, Kennedy, from California, Mr. Edikwe's son called to ask of you. Mum I said I want to be alone!!

Not long afterwards, somebody entered the room. The person looked like Owusu but this time he wasn't in a wheelchair. He was in jeans and a blue T-shirt. Owusu is that you? It's me honey, your babe. But I thought... shhhh, Owusu ; putting two fingers on Jasmine's lips, don't think anymore my darling. I told you I will never leave you. Here am I babe. I am yours and you are mine. Never will I stop loving you. "Till the son goes cold and the stars grow old" remember. She run to him and hugged him so hard that she didn't want to let go. She looked into Owusu's eyes, ever green, and kissed him. I was so scared that I have lost you. Not anymore Hun, replied Owusu. She placed her head on Owusu's chest and squeezed his hands so hard. I can see you have really missed me Jasmine. Yes I have Owusu; I have missed you a lot. I never stopped thinking about you when I was in Paris. I am very sorry for everything I did to you, please forgive me. I have forgiven you babe, the most important thing is that we are both here. But there is something I want to tell you Jasmine.