Chapter 4: Rejected and Lonely

She started crying and said she was never going to forgive herself if anything bad happens to her brother. What are you doing Jasmine? The voice came from behind her. It sounded like her brother's voice.

She turned around and it was him, in his wheelchair. What a relief. Why the tears Regina? I was so scared you might have done something crazy to yourself because of what I showed you. Come on sis, don't you believe your brother anymore? You know I keep my promises. I am sorry Owusu. I was so frightened. Derrick came around and couldn't stop laughing when Regina told him what happened in the morning. Owusu seemed to be happy despite everything but he actually wasn't. The only thing he could do when he was alone in his room was shedding tears. He couldn't just imagine he has lost Jasmine to another guy.

It was one sunny day when the news dropped. Jasmine has arrived. That was what Regina told him. Are you sure of what you are saying Regina? I am very sure. My friend who lived nearby their house told me. She said she arrived yesterday in the afternoon. I know this is not true. Jasmine would have been here a long time ago. I would be the first person she would look for.

Don't worry too much Owusu. Maybe she was busy or it could even be that it's not true.

It had been a whole week and no visit from Jasmine. One sunny Monday, He drove his wheelchair and sat in front of their house to see if Jasmine would pass by. And sure that day she did.

From distance he looked at her, she was looking beautiful than ever. He realized he was walking with somebody. The person looked exactly like the guy whom he had seen in the pictures Regina showed him. They were walking to the direction he was, he started to tremble and put on the best smile. When they got where he was, Owusu was expecting that that Jasmine would hug him and give him the best of kisses he had ever had from her but unfortunately for him it wasn't like he expected. Their eyes met when Jasmine got close. She quickly took her eyes off and headed towards the provision store just a mile away without saying even hi. His hands started shaking and didn't know the next move took to make.

The next day around the same time he came to the same place. Their eyes met without a word from her, she walked away to the same store. Young man why are you here? The owner of the store yelled at Owusu. Yesterday you were here and today too you are here. Do you want to drive away my customers? Please go away. Jasmine was standing there. She turned her eyes away pretending as if she didn't hear anything. I am sorry Madam; said Owusu. The embarrassment was hard for him to take. His eyes couldn't contain it. He quickly drove his wheelchair and headed towards their house so that no one would see the tears from his eyes.