Chapter 5: The Deadly mistake

He was driving the wheelchair and shedding tears alongside. Someone hugged him from behind; the person wasn't saying anything but just wrapped her hands around his chest. Jasmine is it you? He didn't want to turn so that his tears would be seen. The person didn't say anything but just cry. Let me hear your voice if it's really you Jasmine. You are ashamed to see me in a wheelchair right? Do you know how long I have waited for you? Do you know how I got the accident and what really happened? I am really hurt Jasmine. I feel like there is no reason to live anymore. Have you forgotten about our promises so soon? Why now that I need you most? You know I can't survive without you but you are killing me softly by yourself. You... He didn't finish his last sentence and the person interrupted.

It's me Owusu, your sister not Jasmine. Don't mind her Owusu. You will get someone to love you just the way you are. You know I love you brother. Jasmine knows not what she is losing. Let me take you home my handsome brother. He didn't say a word until they got home. I will be in my room Regina.

The scene broke his heart. He wept the whole night.

One Thursday around 2:00pm Jasmine came to pass by again. This time Owusu wasn't there. About three days she still didn't see him. In her room she cried. Maybe the letter didn't reach him. She wondered to herself. She didn't know what to do. Owusu's parents didn't like her so going to their house was impossible.

Owusu held the drug in one hand and Jasmine's envelope in the other hand. After all there was no need to read what was inside. He has seen everything he needed to see. He couldn't live anymore. He can't stand the view of Jasmine with somebody else.

He took water and drunk the suicide drug. It was a slow killer. He had some few minutes left before he dies. He decided to open the envelope and see Jasmine's handwriting for the last time. His stomach began to ache but the heading of the letter caught his interest. It read;

"My darling Owusu....."

My darling Owusu,

You know how much I love you. I have never stopped thinking about you. Not even for a second. You are and will ever remain the one I love. My life is useless without you my love. My phone got lost at the airport the day I left. I called you with my cousin's line but there was no answer. I tried calling you afterwards for about a year but I couldn't reach you. I cried almost every night because of you. The only person who consoled me was my cousin Eddy, the guy you have been seeing me with. My parents have warned never to meet you again. The owner of the store is my mother's friend and has warned to report me even if she sees me making eye contact with you. I am very sorry for all that I have been putting you through.

..... My parents are saying they don't want an in-law with one leg. Because of that, they don't allow me to go out until I go with Eddy. They have threatened me not to even turn when I pass by your house. My mum always hides somewhere watching me from a distance. She always tells me she sees you every time. Please forgive my love, everything shall soon be over. You have grown very handsome. I can't wait to hold your beard. Please be a little more patient with me. I am making arrangement so that we can meet somewhere that only God can see us. I love you so much Owusu. "Till the sun goes cold and the stars grow old remember".

Your one and only; Jasmine.