Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Lena turned that look on Aurelia and Aurelia felt her blood run cold. She watched the woman’s stalking back, unable to take her eyes off Lena until she was well out of sight.

“You know, I am getting really tired of people calling me a whore. It’s like the only insult they can come up with,” Aurelia grumbled, turning back to Renna.

Renna was almost as white as a sheet, her bottom lip red from biting it so hard. She avoided Aurelia’s eyes, quickly ducking down to an upturned basket by her feet, the contents spilled across the ground. She must have dropped it when Lena set upon her.

“What was that all about?” Aurelia asked as she bent down to help the Healer gather the fallen fire logs back into the basket.

Renna shrugged uncomfortably. “It’s nothing to worry about.”

Aurelia stared at her, stopping mid-motion. “Nothing to worry about? She looked like she was planning to murder you.”

“It’s just her way,” Renna said quietly. “She’s a Shield Maiden to my tribe, grew up fighting since she was able to walk and constantly proving herself to be just as good as the men she fights beside. You need to be aggressive in order to do what she does.”

“That’s hardly an excuse to treat people that way.” Aurelia protested. “Is it personal? The argument, I mean?”

Renna seemed resigned to her questioning as she put the basket down by the fire. “Yes, it’s personal. She was… angry… that I should take it upon myself to ready Kailen’s home for his arrival. To supply the firewood and to make him food.” She stopped herself from saying any more than she already had.

Aurelia thought it was touching that Renna was so thoughtful, but couldn’t think why such an act of kindness would send Lena into a rage.

Renna must have seen her thought pass across her face as she hurried to explain. “They are duties of a wife to her husband and should not be undertaken by a single woman. Lena thinks I am trying to weasel my way into that position.”

The pieces of the puzzle fell into place with an audible snap. The only reason why another woman would react in such a way about Renna’s action was because she hoped for the same position too. “I, ah, I guess Lena has feelings for Kailen then?”

Renna smiled humourlessly. “You could say that, yes.”

“Huh.” Aurelia leaned back against the table and watched Renna busy herself about the hut. “So Kailen has women fighting over him. He must be popular.”

“Kailen is well regarded amongst the tribe, a seasoned warrior and had a good standing with the leaders.” Renna explained. “A woman would be very lucky to have him.”

“And he’s good looking too.” Aurelia gently teased.

Renna reddened but she nodded. “That too.” She turned serious. “You should be careful.”