Chapter Twenty-Eight: Christa's Story

Everyone stared at Christa with wide eyes -- shock? Defiantly. Surprise? You bet. "Wait, if he killed your mom why are you working for him?" Connie asked, his olive colored eyes shutting close as he shook his head confusingly. Christa let out a sad sigh and shut the door.

        "I doubt he even remembers," she started, "but I have my reasons." 

        "Revenge?" Eren asked. Christa shook her head. "Not exactly, but in a way, yes." 

        "What do you mean? How should we even trust you?" Mikasa asked skeptically. Ymir glared at her fiercely. "Fine, don't trust her. It'll just be your own loss." 

        "It's fine Ymir, you'd be skeptical too," Christa sighed then went on with her story, "my mother never cared for me. I was a bastard -- a child made out of wedlock."

        "So? About half of the world are made out of wedlock," [Name] said truthfully. 

        "Yeah, I know that, but my mother was.. She was a daughter of a very rich family, children out of wedlock was forbidden. My biological father denied that he ever slept with my mother which led to her death." 

        "How could he do that?" Sasha asked, her voice showing confusion and interest in the story. 

        "He's a Reiss." 

        [Name]'s eyes widened. The Reiss family was one of the richest British families, if the current royal family was to die out or anything like that, they were to take over. [Name] only knew this because when she was in high school she had to do a project on them. "Wait -- so you're basically royalty?" 

        Christa shook her head. "Nope. Even if I was, it wouldn't matter now. My father ordered me to go by a different name and never return to England again." 

        "Great, story time is over. Why should we trust you again?" Levi asked rudely, his hand still intertwined with [Name]'s. She side glanced him, but he didn't seem to notice. "I don't like the way Kenny does things around here. And, it'll also be good payback." 

        "I thought you didn't want revenge?" Armin questioned. 

        "Payback and revenge are two different things." 

        [Name] kept in a laughed. "Fine, we'll trust you for now. But if you dare try anything, you're as good as dead." Levi said, seriousness dripping off of every words. "Do that and I'll kill you."

        "It's fine Ymir. I give all of them permission to kill me if I turn on them." Their voices cut off when they both walked out then shut and locked the door seconds after. The single flickering light turned off, filling the room with nothing but darkness, just like every night after the clock struck ten. [Name] heard movement and mutters of people getting into their beds and getting ready to sleep.        

        [Name] did the same and laid down on hers, pulling the warm fabric over her cold body then snuggling into it. Not long after, Levi did the same and wrapped his arms around [Name]'s waist from behind. His face buried into her soft [h/c] hair, and his chest pressed up against her back. Just by his touch, goosebumps formed on [Name]'s [s/c] skin. 

        "I don't like this one bit," Levi murmured into his hair, his warm breath reaching the back of her neck, sending chills down her spine. [Name] turned over, instead of having her head buried into the blanket, it was now buried into Levi's chest. Her fingertips softly rubbed circles into his side. 

        "It's going to be hard. I don't want to lose you." 

        [Name] smiled against Levi's chest. He barely showed his true feelings, so whenever he did [Name] couldn't help but smile. "I don't want to lose you either." 

        "Ugh will you stop with your lovey-dovey couple talk? I'm trying to get some sleep here!" Jean said annoyingly. [Name] giggled and closed her eyes, deciding to get some sleep too since tomorrow will probably be a long, long day. 

        The following day they all woke up the same way as always, a member of the MP coming in and yelling at them to wake the fuck up. It was a different guy today, it was everyday, but they all seemed to have that nasty, rude, ordering voice. Yawning loudly, [Name] sat up and stretched before climbing out of bed then following the MP man.

        The man lead them to a room they've only been in once before to work in. Like the last time they were in there, they had to cut firewood and stack it in a neat pile. [Name] assumed they were making them do this because it getting closer to winter, another problem in their plan. But they could and would work around it.

        Escaping was their only goal at the moment.

        "I can't wait till we leave this place," Jean mumbled before he brought his ax down and chopped another piece of wood in half. Connie, who stood next to him, nodded in agreement. They all couldn't wait. Even though they'd be trapped in the outside world with zombies, it was better than being human slaves. At the moment they thought that anything was better than it, actually. 

        "Keep quiet about it," Levi hissed lowly so the MP's wouldn't hear him. Jean rolled his eyes, but ended up keeping his mouth shut completely. As the men were chopping wood, and the woman were placing the wood in neat, tall piles the door opened then shut. [Name] knew the voice when she heard it. 

        "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be guarding with Christa?" The man who lead them to the wood-chopping room asked, uncrossing his arms and turning to the person who walked in unexpectedly. 

        "I need the eight you recently brought in here." 

        "What for?" The man asked, his eyes squinting at the female.

        "Do you want me to tell Kenny that you're questioning his orders?" Ymir asked with a glare. The man instantly backed down and waved a hand to [Name]'s group. "Go ahead, they're right there." Ymir nodded and walked over to them. They all stopped doing what they were doing and look at her with confusion. Ymir just rolled her eyes.

        "Come with me," Ymir ordered then spun around on her heel and walked to the door. The group of people looked at each other questioningly, wondering if they should follow the tall woman.

        "Are you coming or not?" Ymir asked impatiently. Sighing, they all followed her out of the room.

        "So Kenny wants something to do with us?" Armin asked. Ymir shook her head.

        "Lie. You guys really are stupid," Ymir snorted.

        "So what are we doing then?" Eren asked, his eyes glancing around the hallway. There were pictures on the walls, pictures from a long time ago. 

        "Just shut up and act normal," Ymir snapped, and they all obliged.