Chapter 12 ~ Morning After

Brooklyn's POV

I woke up at about 8 am to see Casey still snuggled into my side. I slowly pulled back the covers and hopped out trying not to wake Casey. I manage to get out and I walk into the kitchen. I put on some coffee and find some Advil for Casey. I then pour myself a cup of coffee adding some sugar and milk to it. I then sat down on the couch turning on the TV and turning it down low to make sure not to wake Casey. I sit there clicking through the channels soon settling on the morning news. I sit there drinking my coffee not really watching the new but more focusing on what had happened last night.

Seeing the divorce papers, calming Casey down and him snuggling into me while he slept last night. I was trying to figure out why it happened. Why did he want me to stay with him? Why did he not get startled the first time he was in the bathroom? Why did he not kick me out there and then? He had this look in his eye like he was glad I was there like he knew I took him back even though he won't remember what happened. I was brought out of my thoughts when I head soft foot stops on the ground.

"What are you doing up? It's early. We don't have a shift I thought you would have slept in." he says to me as I sit on the couch.

I look down at my phone realising it was 10 am. "Trust me 8 am is a sleep in for me. I usually get up at 6 am even on weekends. How do you fell." I answer him.

"Oh... thanks for staying last night really appreciate it." He says back.

"No problem. There's coffee in the pot if you want some." I half yell to him as he walks into the kitchen.

He then came back out carrying a cup. He sat down on the couch next to me somehow not looking to bad for drinking himself dry. I turn to look at him and he did the same both exchanging a small smile.

"You feeling OK," I asked him with a concerned look

"Yeah why?" he asked me

"You kind of drunk your self dry. I'm also not blind I did see the divorce papers with both yours and A Gabriela Dawson's signatures on it also with two rings and engagement and wedding band both sitting there by the look of the size both hers. The fact that they are still sitting there means you thought you would deal with it today not expecting to get that drunk that last night." I replied to him.

He threw his head back with a slight laugh. Which made me smile.

"Your good." He said with a little chuckle.

"Yeah, I know. So, tell me what happened." I pushed a little.

"Well, Gabby and we met on the job. It was the new paramedics first day and she was showing her around. She introduced us and she gave me this smile. I was with someone else at the time and she kept her distance. We were friends for a long time. My fiancé was killed and Gabby was there to comfort me. We somehow got together. A few months after she became a firefighter under me and we couldn't handle it so we broke up. we had a one-night stand and she ended up getting pregnant so naturally, we got back together. Not long after she lost the baby but I didn't give up. we ended up fostering a little boy. We went to adopt him and his father came back. She then wanted to try but got told it was too dangerous so we fell out she then left and went to Porta Ricco and soon took a full-time position. She came last night to collect her things. Before last shift to messaged me to tell me this." He told me

"Wow," I replied with a surprised look.

"Yeah, that's why the divorce papers are at the door. What about you what's your story?"

"OK. So, kind of the same. I met my ex-boyfriend on the job. You know the typical forbidden relationship. Like not in-house relationships. Anyway, one night we both got drunk and it kind of just happened. So we kept it a secret for a month and then we released it. We were together for three months before he started to treat me differently. He would let me off on things I would never get away with. He became distend. We broke up and he treated me like shit. I became hot-headed and had a short temper. I put both my life and others live at risk I was almost killed twice so I got transferred. Not just to another house but to another city. So yeah." I told him.