Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

“Same difference. They’re both green.”

##

The rain had started pouring just as Lydia stopped her car at Derek’s loft. Lydia just got up and walked out into the rain but Scarlett really didn’t want to waste the fifteen minutes it had taken to straighten her hair and her hat wasn’t waterproof.

Scarlett squinted into the rain, not really worried about the time factor, she would be able to catch up to Lydia in two seconds flat. Scarlett tuned to look into the backseat and smiled. She had always hated physics; she really didn’t care about gravity ect when they were chasing werewolves all the time. A minute later, Scarlett was running out into the rain, using Lydia’s ‘Conceptual Physics’ textbook as an umbrella.

As soon as she got inside, Scarlett tossed the textbook into the trash next to the staircase. Lydia was almost at the doorway of Derek’s loft and Scarlett quickly caught up. She stood a few steps back though. Scarlett guaranteed that Derek and Braedon were screwing each other and if both of them were there… well, she didn’t feel like bleeding on one of her favourite dresses. Lydia didn’t seem to care that they had tripped the alarm and that Derek and Braedon were waiting for them.

Derek threw the door open from the inside and immediately, both he and Braedon pointed their guns at the intruders, ready to shoot. They both froze when they saw it was the Martin sisters. Scarlett lifted the hand that Lydia hadn’t latched onto and awkwardly waved. Lydia had been looking at the floor, but the moment she saw Derek she looked up and screamed.

Derek and Braedon were too shocked to cover their ears but Scarlett knew it was coming. She closed her eyes and tilted her head, trying to block out the noise. As soon as Lydia was done, Scarlett just said “Well, this is awkward.”

##

Scott had texted Scarlett telling her he was returning the money to Derek in the morning before practise, so she decided to wait for him there. After she had grabbed her school bag from the car and Lydia managed to reassure her that she was okay, Scarlett headed upstairs. She had wanted to speak to Derek for a while.

When she got back, the sun was about to rise and Braedon was nowhere to be seen. Derek was sitting on one of the only pieces of furniture in his loft: the old couch.

Scarlett walked in like she owned the place and dumped her schoolbag on Derek’s coffee table.

“Where did the Braedon go?”

Derek sent her an annoyed look. “You’re not always this suspicious. What’s wrong?”

“Derek, almost every girl you’ve dated has turned out to be a psychopath. She’s also a mercenary. I don’t know if we can trust her.”

“We can.” He said.

“How can you be so sure?” Scarlett asked.

“Do you trust me?” Derek asked. Scarlett nodded. “Then know, we can trust her.” Scarlett didn’t say anything else. She didn’t know if they could really trust Braedon, but she’d give it a go. When she didn’t leave, and instead plopped herself down on the other coach, Derek said, “But my taste in women isn’t why you stayed, is it?”

Scarlett shook her head ruefully. She knew that he probably wouldn’t listen to her but she had to try anyway. “We can’t trust Peter.”

“I know.”

“No you don’t.” Scarlett stood up again. ”I don’t mean that he’s a manipulative little bitch, okay, I know that. I mean that he’s a psycho mass murderer who decided that he wanted to wipe out every single goddamned supernatural in Beacon Hills as a way of saying ‘I told you so’ to your mother. He wants what Scott has, and I won’t let him take it. So listen here wolf boy, if I find out that lays a single finger on Scott I will scream so loud that he’ll wish he had died in that fire. Just an FYI.”