Chapter Sixteen

Scarlett watched as the CDC workers set up a mini hospital in the cafeteria. She watched as the bordered up the windows so that no one could see outside. She also knew that they turned off all electronic communication to the outside. Now, Scarlett was sitting in the classroom with Stiles, Malia and Kira. It was the perfect opportunity to berate Stiles for not listening to her. That feeling she had was not because she was nervous, it was because she knew this was going to happen.

“I told you so! Who should we start listening to from now on, huh? Oh that’s right. Me!” Scarlett whisper yelled.

“Okay! I get it. You’re always right and I’m always wrong. Next time I’ll listen. Now can we discuss the real problem here?” Scarlett put her hands up and stepped back. That was enough for now. “Good. Bet they think its small pox.” Stiles guessed in a quieter voice.

“Not likely.” Scarlett looked behind Stiles to see the administrator speaking. “Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. We’ve only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history. The other was Renderpest. It kills cows.” He said.

“So we should be comforted by that.” Stiles said.

“Unless it’s something worse.” The sentence was meant to sound ominous or warning but the guy just sounded like he knew exactly what this virus was capable of. Scarlett didn’t like that.

Scarlett frowned a little, and said sarcastically, “I’m sorry. But I don’t remember asking for your input. Seeing as you’re enlightening us with your amazingly negative knowledge let me do the same for you. Did you know that 61,061 people in the United States were diagnosed with melanomas of the skin in 2010, including 35,248 men and 25,813 women? You might want to get those checked out.” Scarlett gestured to her mouth and chin area where he had three large moles.

The administrator glared at her but didn’t respond and before Scar could do more damage, Stiles pulled her away.

“Whatever it is, they’re taking it pretty seriously. There’s a lot of cars and trucks out there.” Malia said. Scarlett watched Stiles closely as he started itching all over his arms and neck. Before she could say anything, Malia perked up and said, “You’re dad’s with them.” Scarlett tuned her hearing and sure enough Sherriff Stilinski was issuing orders to his deputies.

“I should probably call him.” Stiles said to himself, getting up and shuffling through the envelopes that held their phones.

Before he could find his phone the administrator interrupted, “Don’t bother. They would have shut off all access to outside communication by now. No cell service, no wifi, no starting a panic. Looks like we’re all going to have to wait here and see what happens.”

“Has anyone ever told you that you’re seriously creepy?” Scarlett asked when Stiles stayed silent. She didn’t get an answer, he just went back to reading his magazine. Although the man was probably trying to scare them, she really was a little freaked out. No access to the outside? First of all that meant wifi, which sounded like hell on Earth. But it also meant that she couldn’t talk to Lydia or … Liam. They wouldn’t be able to talk to anyone on the outside and she had a feeling this wasn’t a natural infection or virus. This was made in a lab. Who knows what it could do? And the people she cared about were in here with her and if they caught the virus, and the virus killed people, then people were going to die – her friends and family could die.

 She had meant what she had said the night before. No one else dies. She intended to keep that promise.

##

Scarlett, Kira, Stiles, Malia and Mr. Yukimura were all standing around Scott in the boy’s locker room. Mr. Yukimura had come and gotten Scarlett and Stiles because Scott had asked specifically for them. Malia and Kira had entered a few minutes later. Her eyes flickered worryingly between Scott and Malia. Both were sweating heavily and Scott was hunched over on one of the benches.