Lying Skills

Monmouth entered the study and closed the door, then leaned back against it, folding his arms across his chest.

“What are you doing, Jo?” His voice was quiet but nevertheless menacing.

The shock of discovery had frozen Joanna to the spot, and her heart beat painfully against her ribs. She forced herself to reply. “Nothing, really. I got lost, and came in here by mistake.” She stared anxiously at Monmouth, to see how he would take this.

Monmouth’s eyes narrowed. “So you didn’t notice the plans for Aeropolis on my desk?”

Her eyes flicked downwards involuntarily, towards the plans, then she looked back up at him again.

“You didn’t wonder why I had never mentioned any interest in Aeropolis, even though you come from there, and wish to return?”

She tried to think of something to say that would sound convincing. “Oh, are the plans for Aeropolis? I didn’t notice.” She tried to make her voice sound casual, but it didn’t work at all, her anxiety giving it a strong edge.

Monmouth continued to stare at her, his eyes inescapable. She felt little prickles of sweat break out on her forehead. She resisted the impulse to wipe it with the back of her hand.

Suddenly Monmouth smiled widely, moving into the study and sitting down in one of the armchairs that faced the desk. “You’ll have to work on that a bit. But it’s not bad, for a beginner.”

She stared at him in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Your lying.” He grinned, indulgently. “Don’t worry, I can teach you. I know a thing or two about it.”

She took a deep breath, ready to angrily defend herself, furiously deny the accusation. But why would she do that? He didn’t seem a bit put out by her behaviour. She let the breath out slowly. “Why would you do that? Teach me, I mean.”

Monmouth leaned forward, elbows on his arms. “I’d like you to work for me.”

“Doing what?”

“Pretty much what you were doing when I walked in. Snooping on things that don’t concern you. Only I expect you not to get caught so easily.”

She considered this. “What, like a spy?”

“Spy, secret agent, undercover operative. Whatever you like. I prefer to think of it as information gathering, myself.”

“What sort of information? And what would it be used for?”

Monmouth leaned back, his expression suddenly serious. “Now let’s be clear on this. If we are to work together, you will collect whatever information I ask for. And you will not know why I am asking, nor will you be told what it is for. Do you understand?”

She nodded. Monmouth relaxed a bit at that, smiling again. “It’s actually for your own protection. The less you know, the better. In case you get caught.”

“I won’t be caught. I’ll make sure of that.”

Monmouth looked surprised at the vehemence in her voice. “I’m sure you will. Especially after your training.” He stood up decisively. “So that’s settled, then. We’ll get started in the morning. Time to get some sleep.” He ushered her out of the study, and locked the door carefully.

Joanna returned to her cabin, thoughts whirling through her mind. What does it all mean? Will I be travelling the world with Monmouth, or does he mean for me to stay on Aeropolis? She wasn’t sure how she felt about either prospect. At that moment she wanted to be home again, but her travels had awakened a hunger within her.