A Farewell

Two days later, as promised, Monmouth was waiting with Lopsang as Joanna entered the old lama's study.

"Hello Jo," he said, smiling warmly. "Ready to go home?"

"Yes, sir," said Joanna, although she didn't feel entirely ready. She had spent the past two days alternately terrified that Monmouth wouldn't return for her, and sad about losing her friends. Now that she knew she was definitely leaving, she felt confused. 

"Good lad," said Monmouth, and led the way out and up to the rooftop landing pad. An elegant airship waited there. She had a newly painted silver gas envelope and a glossy black gondola. Four large aero engines were mounted on stubby winglets. 

"What a lovely ship!" exclaimed Joanna, feeling stirrings of excitement: she would soon be on her, and on her way home! She felt slightly unreal. 

"Thank you," said Monmouth. "She's the Lady Guinevere. An Avro Marlborough. I'm very pleased with her."

They reached the passenger hatch at the forward end of the gondola, and Monmouth opened it and stepped inside. Joanna turned to Lopsang. 

"I don't really know how to thank you enough for what you have done for me."

Lopsang smiled in his calm way. "There is no need to thank us. We have done what any compassionate being would do. All we ask in return is that you do the same, should the opportunity arise. And I know that you will, Joseph. You are a kind human being." He grasped her shoulder firmly. "I wish you well."

Joanna smiled to fight back the tears. Lopsang removed a bracelet of small dark beads from his wrist. "Something to remember us by." He handed them to Joanna. "These are mala beads. They can be used in some kinds of meditation. I have used these for many years. The positive energy that they contain will protect you."

Joanna rolled the beads onto her left wrist. She clasped her hands together, and bowed her head, and Lopsang returned the gesture. 

Then it was time to go.  Just as she turned away, she heard a shout. A monk in saffron robes was running at top speed across the roof towards them. 

It was Gansung. He slowed as he approached, and Lopsang quietly backed away.

Gansung looked Joanna squarely in the eyes. "You should know that you are not the worst student that I have taught. "

Joanna nodded. "Thank you."

Gansung gestured impatiently. "I say this not to flatter you, it is simply the truth. If you were to find a way to continue your training, and if you were to work very, very hard, you might one day achieve a satisfactory standard. I do not say this to everyone!"

And with a curt nod, he turned on his heel and strode off. Joanna stood there, somewhat nonplussed. Lopsang approached quietly. 

"You have made quite an impression on Gansung. I don't believe I have heard of him saying that to anyone!"

Just then Monmouth appeared at the open hatch. "I don't want to break up the farewell party, but we really must get underway soon."

With a final smile and nod to Lopsang, Joanna hurried aboard. Monmouth indicated the left-hand seat on the flight deck. "You may as well sit there. But don't touch any of the controls!"

Joanna settled in and buckled up as Monmouth ran smoothly through his pre-flight checklist. Soon the engines were roaring and docking clamps released. Lopsang remained standing impassively, eyes on Joanna. 

The Lady Guinevere lifted smoothly off the landing pad, and nosed around towards the west. Joanna kept her eyes on Lopsang until he disappeared from view aft, and then she turned her eyes towards home.