Arriving in London

Someone was shaking her awake. She opened her eyes to see the face of Tom. 

"Get off my bed."

She struggled to sit up. "Your bed?"

"Yes, my bed." He grabbed her arm and tried to pull her upright, but she shook him off, and stood up herself. 

Tom immediately flopped down. "You can 'ave the other one."

She didn't want to stay in the cabin with him, so she walked up towards the flight deck again. Rasmussen was still at the controls. She tried the next door on the port side. It led to the toilet. When she emerged, Rasmussen looked back over his shoulder at her. 

"Joseph. Food in galley."

She stared at him, confused, but he turned away. Not knowing what to do, she opened the door opposite. It led into a narrow kitchen. There was food on the left-hand counter, some hard-looking black bread and a few dried sausages. 

She hadn't eaten for many hours, so she are it all with great relish, savouring the sausages especially-- meat wasn't a regular part of her diet. There was a little spout in the sink, and after finding a glass, she worked out that pumping the foot pedal caused water to spurt out. 

She drank three glasses, and was staring at the unruffled surface of the newly filled fourth one when she realised that the ship wasn't being bounced around any more. She immediately put the glass down and ran to the flight deck. 

It was a crystal clear night outside, with the Milky Way arching across the starry sky, and a fantastically beautiful flower made up of millions of dots of light lay on the velvety darkness below. She caught her breath. 

"What is that?"

Rasmussen grunted his reply. "London. We land soon."

Her heart sank. So soon! "Can I please stay with you until your next stop after London?”

He shook his shaggy head. "No. You get off in London."

His tone gave no hope of discussion. She flopped down in the other pilot seat, grumpily watching the flower grow ever larger, until the lights resolved themselves into street lights and factories and pubs and houses. And then they were skimming over an airfield, heading towards an empty space, and soon enough the old airship had settled down with a bump, and Rasmussen was shutting down the engines. 

"Come with me," he said, herding her down the companionway. He pushed past her into the larger cabin and shook Tom awake. 

"We in London," he informed the bleary-eyed boy. "You take Joseph, tie down ship. Then show him to passenger terminal."

Tom stood up wearily. "Come on then." He shuffled out of the door. Rasmussen pointed after him, gesturing, until she followed. 

Tom led the way back towards the flight deck. There was an alcove on the port side, leading to the forward hatch. He loosened the dogs and pushed it open. From there it was a short jump to the ground. 

It wasn't really earth, being covered in some sort of hard black stuff, but it still felt nothing like an alloy deck underfoot. She jumped up and down a few times, marvelling at its complete lack of give and solid feel. 

Tom was staring at her, so she stood still and looked at him. "What now?"

He pointed at some ropes dangling from the gas envelope which bulged out above their heads. "Take those and tie them to the docking clamps." He indicated a number of thick metal staples that protruded from the hard surface in a circular pattern, then disappeared around the back of the gondola. 

Remembering his vow to abandon Rasmussen, she assumed he had just walked off, so she was surprised when he returned a few minutes later. 

"All finished then? Let's be off!" He led the way with a jaunty stride and a cheerful whistle. "Come on!"

She ran to catch up, unsure of what to make of this new Tom. He leaned his head towards her and whispered conspiratorially. 

"As soon as we're out of sight of that idiot, I'm legging it." He winked at her, and sauntered ahead. She hurried to catch up before he disappeared around the side of the nearest hangar. 

But after rounding the corner, she saw he was already half-way down the side, running hard. He didn't even glance backwards as she watched him turn into a side alley and disappear. 

She wasn't sorry to see him go, and was about to make her own way in the opposite direction, when a sudden thought struck her. She turned around and marched back to the ship, heart beating fast. If she could make this work, she would be home free.