18.8

Things looked like they were going back to normal. But no Toby. No safety. Just... Normal life.

There were more tests, now. Exams were coming up. I spent more time in the library, studying. It felt like I was seventeen all over again, looking for redemption, but this time in the hands of my fellow uni students. I had to prove to them that I wasn't that Naija anymore. I had changed. It was now up to them to believe what they saw.

I was bored most of the time, seeing as Gold and Taylor spent more time together and I'm certain not as normal friends. I saw the way something lit up in Gold anytime she was with Taylor, and I saw another different personality of Taylor's when she was with Gold. They deserve each other, and Gold deserves to be happy. I didn't have any more friends, so I decided to call a someone from my past.

Conner's phone rang twice before he picked. "This is Conner Charleston the Third speaking, can I know who's on the line?" I hesitated for a while. Was this a good idea? "Hello?"

"It's Naija," I said, biting on my thumbnail. "Hi."

His tone changed from professional to casual. "Oh, hey, Naija." He was silent for a while. "I thought you were never going to call."

"Yeah..." It felt awkward and I suddenly felt the urge to cut the call. "It's nothing, never mind."

"What is it? What's wrong? Are you okay? Did something happen?" Something felt funny in my stomach. Why was he asking? "Naija, are you there? Do you need me to come over?" So much concern from someone I hadn't seen in four years.

"No, no, it's nothing, it's just... I'm bored at home. I have nowhere to go and nothing to do. I just... Nevermind. It's nothing. Sorry to bother you."

"You weren't bothering me in the slightest, Naija. Do you want to come over? I'll have someone pick you right away." The funny feeling in my stomach intensified and I groaned in my palm.

"Yes. I'd, uhm, like that very much. Thank you."

"Alright, my driver will pick you up in a few. See you soon." Even though I had said "okay" and "bye", he didn't drop the call. I could hear his shallow breathing through the phone. I didn't realize I was smiling until I ended the call and dropped my phone. Why was I even smiling?

I picked out a light green off shoulder top, yellow singlet and blue jean shorts, with black suede flats. I selected little jewelry, gold bracelet and studs. Then I hopped in the shower and had my bath. I tried my hardest not to look in the mirror too long, because I was sure I'd be tempted to do the most. I packed my hair into a bun and left a few loose curls. I was sure I looked great. I locked my door, threw my keys in my pocket and went downstairs to wait for whoever was going to pick me up.

A sleek black BMW X5 Jeep honked at me the moment I stepped out of the building. I entered the car and greeted the driver. He had a swanky British accent, even though we had the same skin. We chatted all the way to wherever it was we were headed.

The car came to a halt. He came out of the car and opened the door for me.  Stepping out, I took in the beautiful scenery of the compound. It had a water fountain in front with a cerub at its center. There were shrubs and trees with different flowers. A big wooden house stood behind it, flower pots decorating the lawn up to the door. Conner stood by the door, resting against the door post, a smile on his lips. The driver nodded at me, smiled, and got back in the car, driving away.

"Are we still in the University?" I asked as I stood in front of me. He nodded and rolled his eyes. The blue of his eyes twinkled at me. "I have never been to this part of the uni."

"Shame, really. Come on in," he said, opening the door for me. He stepped in front and stretched. "Follow me, so you won't, you know, get lost." He sounded sarcastic. And he was right; the interior of the house was huge; we walked past three living rooms. I counted. Then finally we entered the much bigger kitchen. He opened the refrigerator and asked if I was hungry. I said I wasn't.