Chapter 7: The Chase

The door of the elevator closed and I began to lure them to cover their escape. Just as Gin and Vodka arrived and saw me fleeing, Gin managed to shoot my left arm in a process.

"It's a guy, bro." said Vodka.

"Yeah. I have no idea who he is." said Gin, "Sherry seems to... have a knight in shining armor."

Yup, his assumes are correct.

"But where is that girl?" asked Vodka.

"If we can show her his dead body, Sherry will give herself up." replied Gin and the chase began.

From that time, I needed to delay for them to run away. Until then, I had to attract their attention as I struggled on even though I'm getting weakened by seizures and a gunshot wound.

'Damn it. The helicopter isn't here yet?'

I managed myself to hide in one of the rooms but...

'What am I doing? Of course it's locked. My brain isn't working.'

Then, I remember that have something in the pocket. It's the victim's room key that Sonoko gave me. Thanks to her.

'Ran and Haibara should have reached the roof by now. Sink or swim!'

Gin and Vodka continued to search for me and then, they found that I used the elevator get to...

"Her knight is... on the 20th floor." said Gin.

I've reached the 20th floor and unlocked the victim's room. I entered the room, locked the door, shut off the lights and laid down the bed, groaning in pain. Gin and Vodka also reached the 20th floor and shot every locked room to open and find me. In the victim's room, my eyes were in a little blurry vision.

Meanwhile, Shiho finally reached the roof, carrying Ran on her back but Shiho collapsed and the effects were completely wear off and transformed back to Haibara. She quickly changed her clothes and dragged Ran to the helipad.

Gin and Vodka shot the last room which it was the victim's room where I was there.

"Just give up, Mr. Nice Guy, there's nowhere else to go." said Vodka.

"Don't resist and kneel in front of my gun." added Gin.

At first, I was silent in there and then...

"I wonder about that..." I said.

"What?" Vodka tried to turn on the lights but it didn't turned on.

"Can't you hear... that sound...?" I asked them. They heard a buzzing rotor sound.

"I called them. 20 helicopters from the... special police force." I said in a bluff.

But it's only one police helicopter where Inspector Megure and Mouri Kogoro, who had left the hospital after Ran called him, were onboard.

"There they are!" said Uncle, "Ran! I'm coming to get you now! Ran!"

They found Haibara, waving on them, and Ran, still unconscious, at the helipad.

"Eh? Didn't Ran say that there should be her, that detective boy and his client? Isn't that the professor's kid?"

Haibara told them that I was in danger.

"Detective-oniisan is being chased by the bad guys! Save him! HURRY!!!"

"That detective boy...?"

"Where? Where is he?!" asked Megure.

Meanwhile, I continued bluffing on Gin and Vodka.

"Soon, there will be... 50 armored policemen deployed into this room. Shouldn't you be the ones... who should give up?"

Vodka feared that they'll be caught but Gin knew that it's only a bluff.

"Don't take him seriously." said Gin to Vodka, "It's just a bluff. If it's true, they would rushed into this room together with the helicopter sound. It's probably... a television station's helicopter that broadcast the party here."

Gin used the flashlight to find me and then...

"There you are." Gin found me as the light is on the shoes and I stood near the window, "Who are you?"

He slowly moved the light from the shoes towards my face to reveal my identity.

"You're..."

"...a detective." I added. The light nearly reached my face and my face's nearly revealed to them but the very bright light of the helicopter blinded Gin and Vodka. Lucky for me that they didn't see my face due to the brightness of the light that blinded them.

"There he is! Detective boy!" shouted Kogoro.

Gin and Vodka found out that it's a police helicopter.

"It's the police! Let's get outta here!" said Vodka.

Gin and Vodka made a swift retreat. Serve them right. Before they leave, Gin left a parting gift for me. It's a grenade! I was about to leave the room before it's too late but I collapsed on the floor due to the seizures. Until...

BOOM!!! Went the grenade that obliterated the suite... and apparently... me with it.

"DETECTIVE BOY!!!"

"KUDO-KUN!!!"

Haibara was shocked that there's an explosion. She thought that I was dead and felt broken. What would everyone tell Ran all about it when she's awake?