Volume 1, Chapter 4

The Scholar and the Auto-Memories Doll

For his young self, that person was the entire world. He would never have thought she would be gone one day. Were she not already there from the start, at the very least, she was his outright guardian from the moment he was born until he became aware of the things around him. She would find him whenever he ran off crying and praise him whenever he did something good. If he reached out his hand, she would even embrace him. She was a grand existence, better than him at everything.

He thought that was what a parent was supposed to be.

——Take my hand. Otherwise, I can't walk. Look at me. I can't live without being watched over by you. Don't go anywhere. This responsibility is upon you.

The ones devilish enough to hoax that person and steal her from his everyday life were to him criminals that should be judged – devils that had destroyed his world. Even having such depraving intentions was a sin in itself.

After he had stopped contemplating the door that would not make any sounds of someone returning home no matter how much time passed, he came to despise everything that had led to his crumbling down. He would never be misled, lying to himself that he was okay with it. He would trust no one, always incompatible with others. And he would never fall apart. Such was his desecration against his old self that had cried while staring at the door.

He believed being that kind of person was acceptable.

Eustitia, a city renowned as the capitol of astronomy, was located on a low-inclination mountain range. Its people, living at about 1,500 meters above sea level, were observers enchanted by the night sky stars. The centre of Eustitia, built by shaving off the mountains, was its Observatory, constructions made of stone densely congregating around it.

The only way to reach the city that practically sprouted from the extensive land was to ride a train to the base of the mountains and hop onto a ropeway that creaked rustily as it rose. Unlike most metropolises of several hundred kilometres sparkling with neon lights, it was a world under a sky untainted by human-produced colours, enveloped in a natural jet-black veil.

On one side, it was called the capitol of astronomy due of its superiority in astronomical observation, but it could also be said that the most remarkable characteristic of the city was being the home of one of the world's leading astronomical research institutes. It was named after a maritime navigation king that had managed to get his hands on enormous amounts of wealth during his lifetime, Shaher. Observatories that had been erected in many places under influence of the deceased Shaher's hobbies still existed, as courtesy of the continuous sustenance from his family group.

The Shaher Astronomical Observatory's Research Institute ensured a vast assortment of activities, such as discovering new stars, researching anything related to astronomy and manufacturing telescopes. Meanwhile, Shaher's headquarters in Eustitia managed books about every known star, collected from all over the world. Having been established as the annex of the astronomical observatories, said headquarters safeguarded a gigantic library that could make book addicts salivate and pass out with just one look. Of course, every one of its books were about stars and the myths related to them. But even so, the amount of works it possessed was overwhelming.