Gaiden, Chapter 4

Cattleya Baudelaire

Cattleya Baudelaire

Writing letters was similar to singing tunes.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance. I rush anywhere my customers might desire. I am from the Auto-Memories Doll service, Cattleya Baudelaire."

Such was the pet theory of a certain Auto-Memories Doll, and she truly did think that way.

"Well, I'm going to begin, okay?"

Singing required people to put together a scenario in their heads, and therefore, it was also similar to painting.

"'Mert, have you been doing fine? Thank you for the letter. Your letters are encouragement for me.'"

The moment she would take a breath to begin writing was when she would start singing.

"My, I mistyped. Let's do it over."

Once the recipient received the letter, how would they react? How would they feel about those words?

"It's natural that you want to tell him to study hard... but if that occupies most of the letter, it'll get tiring. Your younger brother was pushed into a boarding school, right? It doesn't look like he'd have much fun there, so I think it's better to take the direction of saying that he'll grow up the way you did and become free from home if he puts effort into his studies. But if we write about you praising yourself too much, it'll get boring, so let's be moderate. All the more if you want to receive a reply."

She would picture it in her head.

"Well, then, on from where we stopped."

There was a beginning and an end to melodies. How they could differ from being remarkable or otherwise gently cheerful depended on the song she was playing, but from the start to the middle, things would gradually become more exciting.

The typewriter's noise was the piano. The rustling of the fountain pen was the violin. Lastly, the clatter of the cymbal would ensue, bringing it to an end.

"How's that?"

The finished letter turned into a living being. Each sound of each word danced about, and human vitality could be felt in the smell of ink. The letter had become a story.

Cattleya Baudelaire performed her ghostwriting in that fashion.

Auto-Memories Dolls and their customers were world-building cooperators that created the tales, music and images called "letters". The more time they spent together and the richer the contents of the letters were, the closer their hearts would be to one another. However, there were people who would reach that level at once, even within an unusually short span.

"Would you... accept going out with me?"

Such as that client.

-