Ever After, Chapter 5

Dream Chasers and the Auto-Memories Doll

Most likely, every continent had one such city.

A city where lonely girls with nowhere to go and boys with nothing but big dreams would head to after breaking away from their homes, taking only a little bit of luggage and travel money with them. A place where they would bet their entire lives to take on a battle when boarding the night train. Both the people who actually knew said land and the ones who did not know it would advise others to go to it if they had a dream they wanted to realize.

They would tell them to go to Alfine, the city of dream chasers.

Located at west of the continent, said city presented itself resplendently. Although it was on the West Side, it was the territory and capital of the Republic of Fine, a neutral country that had not participated in the Continental War. Alfine was originally a city of artisans, as well as the place where engineers employed by the royal family of Fine used to live in during the pre-republican era. Home to all sorts of artisans conceivable, who made from handicrafts to weapons, the city stood out within even the whole continent, and since ancient times, there was even a saying that preached, "Ask Alfine whether this can or can't be done".

Such were the origins of Alfine. Over time, the city of artisans had turned into a city of merchants.

Even if they wanted to, skilled craftsmen could never break free from their relationship with the merchants who sold their goods at high prices. A person having talent was no guarantee that they would be able to capitalize on it. After all, those who could do everything on their own were few. Moreover, putting people to good use was a talent in itself, and merchants excelled in that field. Through its craftsmen and merchants joining hands, Alfine had succeeded in developing into a commercial metropolis, boasting an assortment of goods that nowhere else could compare. Opening to the public on a daily basis, the market in the city center was as vibrant as it had been since ancient times.

Just after the end of the Continental War, which had left the continent with an enormous scar, Alfine had managed to achieve an even better advanced field. If there were any field attracting more attention than ever before, as a result of people wounded by the war seeking a new era once it was over, it would be the field of "artistic expression". As in theater, novels, paintings, music. Meaning that many forms of "artistic expression" had their names thundering all over the world by way of borrowing assistance from merchants. Rather than being just entertainment, it had the power to move people. The city of dreams, Alfine, could quite literally be called a blooming flower by now.

However, where there were sunny spots, there were also shaded ones. Precisely due to it being a city of dreams, one could clearly tell the disparity between those who had accomplished their dreams and those who had not just by looking.

The city of Alfine was a circular one surrounded by tall walls. It was divided into three large sections: First District, Second District and Third District.