Volume 1, Chapter 2

The Girl and the Auto-Memories Doll

I... remember.

That a young woman had come.

Sitting there, quietly, she would write letters.

I... remember.

The figures of that person... and of my kindly smiling mother.

That sight... surely...

I would not forget even if I died.

Amanuensis is a profession that has existed since ancient times. It had once come to a point of decay due to the popularization of Auto-Memories Dolls, yet professions that have a long history are loved and protected by no short amount of people. The increase in number of amanuensis machine dolls was precisely what caused nostalgic hobbyists to claim that old-fashioned professions were better off keeping their charm.

The mother of Ann Magnolia was one of those people with fascinatingly old-fashioned taste. With her wavy dark hair, freckles and slender body, Ann's mother was almost exactly like Ann herself in looks and had come from a wealthy household. Raised as an elite woman, she got married and, even after aging, something about her still resembled a 'young lady'. The gentle smile she wore whenever letting out a high-pitched laughter was indescribable to whomever saw it.

Looking back at how her mother was, even now, Ann thought she was like a little girl. She was vigorous in spite of being a clumsy person, and whenever she would enthusiastically assert, "I want to try this out!", Ann would retort with, "My, my, again?". She was fond of boat rides and dog races, as well as oriental flower arrangements that could be found in quilt embroidery. She was a person who loved learning and had a hobbyist side to her, and if she went to the theaters, it was definitely to watch romance plays. She was keen on laces and ribbons, her dresses and one-pieces mostly similar to those of princesses from fairy tales. She imposed them on her daughter, as she fancied parent-children matching outfits. Ann had sometimes wondered what could be wrong with her mother for wearing ribbons at her age, but never once said it aloud.

Ann treasured her mother more than anyone in the world – even more than her own existence. Although she was a small child, she had believed to be the only one that could protect her mother, who was not a strong person by any means. She loved her mother that blindly.

Around the time when her mother had fallen ill and the date of her passing was approaching, Ann had her first meeting with an Auto-Memories Doll. Even though she had countless memories with her mother, the ones Ann recalled were always about the days they had welcomed a mysterious visitor.

'It' had showed up on a very blue day. The road bathed in abundant sunrays of a beautiful spring. Next to it, the flowers that had started to bloom from within the thaw swayed in the feeble wind, their tips shaking. From her home's garden, Ann was observing the way 'it' walked.