01 | Oh no, you don't.

Chapter 1| Oh no, you don't.

L E A H

"I feel so stupid right now," I murmured as we crept towards the door.

'Why in the world did I agree to do something like this?' I mentally chided myself.

"It's not stupid, Lee. We're ghosts, remember?" A familiar voice whisper-yelled making me roll my eyes.

"This hardly counts as being ghosts." I stopped in my track and tugged at the white bed sheet thrown over me.

Not a second later, I felt a sting on my arm making me yelp.

"What the hell, Kyle?" I rubbed the sore spot on my arm glaring at him through the bed sheet.

"Quit being a crybaby. We've got a plan to execute." A stupid plan which I stupidly agreed to.

"This is plain stupid. They're not even going to get scared. Let's not embarrass ourselves out there." The desperation in my voice was clear but it seemed to have no effect on the dufus I call my best friend.

A 'shush' and a 'follow me' was all I got in reply. Taking a deep breath, I walked two steps towards him and kicked his shin.

The high pitched sound that left his mouth had me cracking up immediately. I ripped the bed sheet off me and glanced at the idiot before me.

Kyle hopped on one foot, clutching the other one with his hands. I pulled off the bed sheet off of him to reveal a very annoyed Kyle.

But before he could speak, I began,"I'm not going to be a part of this. You're on your own from here."

Kyle left the hold on his leg and stood up straight, towering over my frame by a few inches. His dirty blonde hair were a ruffled mess atop his head from when I pulled the bed sheet over his head. His eyes were more green than blue and his crooked nose added to his crazy persona.

"You can't do that, Leah. We're partners in crime. You jump, I jump. Remember?" Kyle placed his hands on his hips and cocked his head to the side, pouting at me.

I bit back the smile threatening to make an appearance, and mimicked his stance. "Not happening." My tone was as serious as it could be.

Kyle searched my face for any hint of compliance but I schooled my features into a poker look. Upon realisation, his shoulders drooped and a sad look masked his face. He turned around and walked two steps before turning around to look at me.

When I didn't waver, he huffed and turned around again. Taking two steps forward, he glanced at me over his shoulder. This happened a couple more times before my resolve began to crumble.

'I am so going to regret this,' I mentally kicked myself before taking in a deep breath.

"This is the last time I'm agreeing to anything you say." I muttered sourly, making Kyle cheer in victory.

In a flash, he was in front of me and his arms wrapped around me in a tight hug nearly cutting off my air supply.

"Great. Now that this is out of the way, let's do some pranking." Picking up the bedsheets from the floor, he threw one at me and the other one over his head.

Rolling my eyes at his excitement, I reluctantly threw the bed sheet over my head and followed his footsteps towards the door.

As we approached the door, Kyle turned the doorknob and the door creaked open. Light chatter could be heard from outside and that led me to question myself again.

I could have been there with the others but no, I had to be stuck here with an idiot who thinks he can prank his friends by dressing up as a ghost.

Yes, you guessed it right. While all of us were watching Annabella an hour ago, Kyle had an amazing idea to scare our friends. So when he came and narrated the whole plan to me, I being myself, agreed excitedly. Only after the plan was set to be executed, did I realise how easily it could backfire.

And backfire it did.

While I struggled to follow Kyle in the dark night, he seemed to be too confident with his sense of direction. Having no other option but to follow him, I tiptoed behind him.

One minute everything was fine. I could hear our friends discuss a football match, one person cursing the gameplay of a player and the other passing comments on how he could have done it better than the twerp. The next minute, a loud splash was heard and then everything went silent.

It was then that I realised that Kyle had stupidly led us into the pool. As soon as I resurfaced, I saw everyone standing by the poolside, their eyes wide open. It took a few seconds for the shock to wear off before they started cracking up.

I turned to see Kyle smiling at me sheepishly. I glared at him, mentally plotting his slow and painful death. 'How could he not know where the pool is? It is his house after all!'

"What is wrong with you two?" A familiar voice broke my line of thoughts.

I looked up to see Aria trying to recover from her laughing fit. Try being the key word here, because the moment she would calm down a bit, one look at Kyle and I would send her into another round of laughter.

At least she was trying to control her laughter. The boys were a different case altogether. Derek and Caleb were rolling on the floor as they laughed to their heart's content. Nate was standing next to Aria, chuckling and shaking his head at our stupidity.

"What were you even trying to do?" Caleb barely managed to get the words out of his mouth, too busy cracking up at the stunt we had managed to pull.

I rolled my eyes at him and caught a movement to my right. Turning my head in that direction, I saw Kyle trying to leave the pool quietly.

"Oh no, you don't," I pounced on him, pushing him underwater.

He resurfaced spluttering before I pulled him in a headlock. "How stupid are you to not know the way around your own house?" I hissed, my grip tightening around his neck.

"C-can't bre...athe," Kyle's hands latched onto my arm trying to pry it off. I loosened my grip a little, not wanting to choke him just yet.

Laughter roared from around us on seeing Kyle's face. Aria struggled to stand upright and leaned on Nate for support only for him to stumble and fall into the pool. And because he was holding onto her arm, she too came tumbling into the pool.

Kyle escaped my grip and this time it was us who were the ones laughing at them. Nate and Aria got over the initial shock and grinned at us.

"Whooooop," Caleb cannonballed into the pool followed by Derek.

"We didn't want to be left out," Derek shrugged upon seeing our questioning gaze.

Aria splashed Kyle and soon enough, a splash war broke out.