THE FÜHRER'S DAUGHTER (Episode 2) - Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

Schroeder plodded over to Drexler’s desk and took a seat in an open chair. Leaning back, he draped a leg over its arm.

“I just heard about Frau Drexler.” The Director’s eyelids drooped half-open over his piercing blue eyes. “A tragic accident, you have my deepest condolences.”

The sardonic tone may as well have been a dagger. Drexler nodded gravely. “Thank you.”

“But I understand we have a situation,” Schroeder said, galvanized. From his jacket pocket, he took a pack of those infernal cigarettes, tapped one out, lit it, and puffed a cloud over to Drexler. “Would you care to enlighten me about tonight’s events?”

“You and your rhetorical questions. I suspect you already know.”

“I know that your wife was killed trying to protect your daughter, who managed somehow to elude our guards. And I know that your daughter might be in possession of some very important information, quite possibly the most dangerous thing in the archives.”

Drexler slowly exhaled, trying not to choke on the toxic fumes. If the bastard wanted lung cancer, why couldn’t he commit slow suicide on his own time?

“Listen, Schroeder. I’ve got it all under contr—”

“You have nothing under control.”

“Herr Direktor…” He could handle Schroeder’s reproof—as long as he knew nothing about his wife’s betrayal, or his daughter being an Infekt. In a calm tone, he tried to assuage him. “Since the break in, I’ve had several of my most trusted staff combing through the archives to ensure that everything is still there.”

“And?”

“You see, that’s just the problem. Nothing’s actually missing.”

“It has been suggested that something truly dangerous to the future of the Empire is hidden there.” Schroeder leaned forward.

“If that were true,” Drexler huffed, hoping Schroeder wouldn’t bring up the mysterious appearance of the photos, “we’d have found it years ago rather than let it molder in the archives. Have you any idea how many people have been through the archives?”

“Do you have any idea how many people have died protecting its contents?” He flicked the half-smoked cigarette onto the white carpet, and smothered it with the toe of his boot. “And yet your negligence somehow facilitated its being infiltrated…by an Infekt!”

He knows about Grace. Drexler fought to maintain a placid countenance. With a slight smile, he turned a menacing gaze upon him. “Your responsibility is the protection of the Führer and his family. Need I remind you that what has happened tonight fell under your jurisdiction?”

Schroeder’s left eyebrow twitched slightly. “We can play the blame game ad nauseum, mein Führer. But I think it better we work together, rather than as adversaries, wouldn’t you agree?”

 Drexler had him on the defensive now. Schroeder always resorted to a diplomatic tone when he felt threatened.

Good.

Drexler still retained a modicum of control.

For now.

“Fine.” Drexler relaxed, sat back in his chair and smiled. “What do you propose?”

“I only ask that you cooperate fully with the investigation into that palace servant of yours, Miles Beaty. That African Infekt’s brazen actions—”

“Along with your guards’ incompetence.” He doesn’t know, after all. The Infekt to whom he had been referring was Miles, another one of Sophie’s accursed charity cases.

Schroeder narrowed his eyes at him. “This entire situation puts the empire’s future in jeopardy.”

 “I assure you, Schroeder, you shall have my full cooperation.” He massaged his aching temple and heaved a burdened sigh. “You shall have access to whatever you need to apprehend my daughter and that Infekt.”

“Very good.” Schroeder’s steely gaze met Drexler’s. “Because I would hate having to issue the Kaiser a bad report.”

“As would I, about you.”

“Then we are in agreement, no?”

“Indeed.” But Drexler knew very well that the entire conversation had been nothing more than posturing, subtext, and subterfuge. He would no sooner turn his back on that snake, than he’d put his own eye out with a sharp stick.

“Then I shall bid you good night.” Schroeder stood abruptly and put his gloves back on, tugging on them as he secured each finger in place. Then he glared at Drexler again. “And be assured, we will do everything to stop them—everything.”

“I expect nothing less.”

“You shall soon have your daughter back, along with that Infekt, of whom I will make a blazing example.” Schroeder stood rigid as a lamppost and extended his right arm. “Heil Hitler!” he said, saluting the Kaiser’s portrait on the wall.

Drexler reciprocated stiffly. “Heil Hitler.”

Schroeder tapped his heels together, spun on them, then exited the room.

Slumped back into his chair, Drexler poured himself another drink.

It burned going down.

He could almost feel Sophie’s disappointed eyes boring into him.

Was the ache in his chest from sorrow, anger at her betrayal, or the alcohol he was using to anesthetize it all?

Another sip, and he stared out the window. Flashing lights pulsated beyond the palace walls. Sirens wailed in the distance.

Grace was now a fugitive out there.

And he was still the Führer.

So why do I feel so powerless?  It was a question he’d never dreamed he would have to ask.

Until now.

----------------

If you enjoyed this, please help keep this and my other works free. Vote, follow me, comment, and please add to your library!

Don't want to wait for the rest of this episode to unfold?

Episode 2 is already out for on ebook reader platorms for less than a Caramel Macchiato. It's twice as long as Episode 1, which means twice the thrills, twice the action, and twice the intrigue. Find the entire episode here: http://bit.ly/TFDEP2WTPD or wait for my next chapter by chapter update.

If you subscribe to my newsletter, you'll be the first to know of the following episode release dates before the rest of the world! Plus, you'll be automatically entered for giveaways every month, including a $100 Amazon gift card. Sign up here:

www.Joshua-Graham.com/GIA