I was done helping her the second they said, "I do."

As she plucked a macaron and shoved it into her mouth, someone tapped on her shoulder. Worried someone had caught her eating in a most unladylike fashion, she chewed and swallowed her bite before turning around.

Antoine's much-too-bright yellow suit greeted her. "Oh," he said, half-snickering, half-smiling at the sight of her food. "Apologies for interrupting your feast, Miss Richel."

She curtsied, balancing her plate with one hand, clasping a corner of her gown with her other. "Lovely party, Majesty."

His eyebrows rose as he avoided addressing her mocking tone. "Hurry and finish your meal, because we must go."

One of her precious macarons fell from her plate and crashed at her feet. "Go? I thought we were taking off tomorrow?"

Before she lost her grip on her platter, the King seized it and set it on the buffet. "Plans changed. I had someone prepare your things, but you must wear something else." He wrinkled his nose at her sleeves and poofy neckline and blushed. "You and Julia are to go upstairs and put on travel attire, at once."

She glimpsed her chicken, her belly growling. "But I—"

"—I will have this food packed for the trip." He snapped, and a maid came running to do as he asked. "Grab Julia, would you? Save her from the horde, and fast."

The word horde seemed exaggerated, yet when Céleste finally found Julia, she realized the King was right. Charlotte was stuck in the middle of women giggling and fanning their faces and squealing as they touched her dress and admired her. Julia winced as she tried to shoo the ladies away. Cordelia had disappeared.

Without a single slither of regret—she would have kicked them all if it wasn't so ill-viewed—Céleste hurried over and plowed through the women to reach Julia.

"We are to leave," she said, ignoring Charlotte's curled upper lip as she spotted her.

"What?" Julia pointed at her ear, making it clear she'd gone deaf.

Céleste squeezed closer, jamming into someone's bushy tangerine petticoat. "The King informed me we are leaving, now. He was in a hurry, and wanted us to change."

"Now?" Julia glanced sideways at Charlotte, whose nostrils flared, smoke about to pour out.

"Enough of this," said Charlotte, blowing out a large breath and stomping her foot, silencing the surrounding chatter. "Get out of my way!" She shook out her skirts and flicked her wrist once, twice, three times, until a majority of her admirers had cleared out. "I am done playing pretty for these idiots. I am famished. But what is this I hear?" She glowered at Céleste and Julia. "You are abandoning me now?"

Julia's jaw dropped, and Céleste lost her voice upon witnessing Charlotte's tremendous dismissal of the noblewomen.

Why did she not do that sooner?

Before either could apologize to the new Princess, the other Princess appeared out of nowhere and slid her arm under Charlotte's. "I will take care of her," she said, gesturing at Céleste and Julia to move. She puffed out her chest and strode forward, hauling Charlotte with her. "You two hasten off before my brother has you carried off." As a line of her own ladies formed around them, as a barrier of protection, Cordelia took the cursing Charlotte to the buffet.

Céleste wished to thank her, but Julia snatched her wrist and together they rushed up to their quarters to prepare.

***

As Céleste slid on a dark coat to cover her white and blue travel gear, someone slipped into her room.

"Dearest?" She recognized the voice, and spun, nearly losing her balance at the vision of her betrothed, sporting a maroon ensemble with a matching cloak. "Are you ready? Our carriages await."