Part Ten

I heard a high-pitched sound that seemed like a cross between nervous laughter and hysteria. It seemed to have come from me.

Lucas looked at me, frowning. He seemed to be deciding whether I had suffered a recent blow to the head. The sound might have done it.

 "Unless you don't want to, of course." He put me down and withdrew his hands at once. 

I didn't like it.

"I want to."

 I wanted to feel the heat again, the way my heart raced when he kissed me a moment ago. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to go all the way.

I had never really thought about getting intimate with Lucas. When Becca had slept with Bob after dating for just a week, I had thought they acted too rashly. One week was too less to get to know each other enough to have sex. 

I had been with Lucas for two months now. I wondered if it was enough. I knew him quite well now. Enough to know that I loved him. 

He loved me too. There were no doubts there. He would do anything to make me happy. Things like rushing over in a moments notice just to make sure I wasn't feeling alone. 

"I want to," I repeated. I was certain now. "Let's go upstairs." 

I didn't see his face. I started to lead the way without meeting his eyes.

 My heart was acting up again. This was the first time I was going to do it with Lucas. What if it was bad?

"Beth?" 

I stopped but didn't turn around. I didn't want him to see how nervous I was.

He came around to stand in front of me until I was forced to face him. "Listen, baby. I can wait if you're not ready. We can take it slow. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

See? He loved me. 

I smiled. "I'm very ready, Lucas. Besides, you are right. Dad would be extremely pissed. And that is exactly what I want."

That's when Lucas started to look uncomfortable.

"On second thoughts, I don't think I want to piss off your Dad baby. Er...  why don't we wait?"

Okay. I should have known better than to mention my Dad. Lucas was a parent pleaser. He didn't have parents so that was probably why he always tried to respect my parents in every way possible. 

It usually made me happy. But right now I was mad. 

"What do you mean we should wait? Are you on my side or his? You're my boyfriend, you're supposed to take my side."

"But why am I even taking sides? Why are you mad at your Dad?"

Then I told him everything. What happened that night at the event. Except for the part about Ethan telling the truth. He didn't need to know that. And also how Dad got me the internship by basically threatening to sue Ethan.

Lucas paused for a moment, probably deciding if he should still take Dad's side.

"So tell me again, why are you mad at your Dad?"

"Because he didn't tell me! I called him before going into Dalitino. But he didn't bother telling me!"

"But what's so wrong about that baby? He probably didn't want you to feel bad. He wanted you to think that you got in there on your own. That way you would believe in yourself and do your best."

I sighed.

Why did he have to make so much sense? It made it hard for me to stay mad at him.

"You're right. But that doesn't mean I like it."