Chapter 14: A Boy With No Name

Warning! Minor Torture!

The memory faded to darkness for a moment, before it brightened to show Frost flying over a densely forested area. Jack froze, recognizing a nearby town.

"MiM... You'd better not be showing them what I think you're showing them." Jack warned, sending a glare at the sky.

"Guardians... Jack is 222 in this memory."

"No." Jack stated firmly. "You can show them anything else, but don't you dare show them this." He argued. The Guardians turned towards their youngest member in confusion. Sandy raised a golden question mark.

"Jack... they must. I'm sorry."

"Oh, you're sorry, are you?" Jack shot back with a sneer. "As if making me watch all this again isn't bad enough! Fine, whatever. I can handle it. Not like it's any worse than you completely ignoring me for Death knows how long. But there's no reason to make me relive the worst most painful memories of my life. None. I'd rather die again, thanks."

"Worst memories?" Tooth paled.

"MiM... I swear, if you show them this... I will never forgive you." Jack finally stated after several long moments of silence. Nobody dared to breathe. Then, the memory continued, picking up where it left off.

The Guardians blinked in shock. MiM wasn't usually so impersonal with them, but it appeared that Jack was always a special case.

"For what it's worth, I truly am sorry." MiM replied.

"It isn't worth much anymore." Jack scoffed, pulling up his hood. "It's 1934. January."

"What is problem?" North asked quietly, not seeing anything out of place. Frost flew over to the town. People were milling about in the evening, enjoying the light snowfall.

Jack didn't answer. Instead, he just pointed to Frost as he looked around. "I haven't seen this town before, have you, Kaze?" He went to take a step forward, when he suddenly swayed on his feet, looking abruptly ill. He leaned against the wall of a nearby building for a moment before shaking his head. "What the...? That was weird." He muttered to himself.

He went to take a step forward when a nearby child bounded around the corner, playing some sort of game. He wasn't watching where he was going, but to the shock of the Guardians, instead of passing through Frost, he bumped right into him.

"Sorry, mister!" The kid grinned up at Frost, who stood there in shock.

"Y-you can... see me?" He trembled.

"Huh? Well, yeah. You're standin' right there! If you're playing hide-and-seek, you aren't too good at it." The child laughed.

"Marion!" A woman called out to the child. "I'm so sorry, sir, I..." The woman trailed off as she took in Frost's white hair and otherworldly blue eyes.

"She... can see you?" Tooth blinked. "But she's not a child!"

"That's the thing, Tooth. In this town... whether you're a spirit or a human... has no meaning." Jack answered. His eyes were cold and dark, and his signature smirk was nowhere to be seen.

"D-d-DEMON!" The woman cried out. "The white haired demon has been reborn!" She immediately grabbed her child and pulled him away.

"Wh-what?! Demon! N-no! I'm Jack Frost! I'm a spirit!" Frost protested, but the townspeople all formed a ring around him. They sent him hateful glares, and jeering words. Frost made a move to fly away, but a villager threw a rock at him, and it hit his hand just right so his staff fell out of his grasp. A quick hand snatched it, taking away his only chance to escape.