Chapter 3: Pippa

Chapter 3: Pippa

The scene blurred, like someone fast-forwarding a movie. "Hey, what's going on?" Bunnymund staggered a bit, the blurriness making him lose his balance for a moment. Jack chuckled, finding the disorientation of the others amusing. Jack, himself, was mostly unaffected due to his experience riding the Wind. He was used to his environment blurring by.

When the scene finally came back into focus, Jackson had walked into the house to find it eerily quiet. Dinner was still set on the table, but a couple of chairs were knocked over, like his parents had left in a hurry. The Guardians looked around warily, unsure if there was an intruder or not.

Jack, on the other hand, was rather calm, and even somewhat excited. Though he didn't bother to inform the other Guardians that there wasn't really much amiss. Sandy was about to ask Jack directly about what was going on, when an ear-piercing agonizing scream came from upstairs.

"MUM!" Jack cried out, dashing up the crickety old stairs, the Guardians hot on his heels. Could something have happened to Jackson's mother?!

Another scream came from behind the door to his mother's bedroom, this time accompanied by a strained groan from his father.

"Ma! Pa! Are you okay?!" Jackson rushed into the bedroom, horrified by the blood all over his mother.

"J-Jackson!" His father, who'd been holding his wife's hand, came over to his son and ushered him out of the bedroom. He kneeled down, having closed the door behind them. "Listen, your mother is fine."

"No she's not! There's blood everywhere!" He protested.

"The baby's coming." He explained. "It happened when you came, and she's still here, right? It's natural. Don't worry so much about it, okay?" He ruffled his son's hair. "How about you and I warm up some dinner and get you fed?"

The immortals watching let out sighs of relief. "Aw, crikey! I thought something bad had happened!" Bunny's shoulders slumped in relief.

"I'm just glad everyone's okay." Tooth paused a moment. "Oh my gosh! Jack! You're a big brother!! No wonder you're so good with kids!" She squealed, flittering around the white-haired guardian.

"Tooth is right!" North let out a booming laugh. "You are good with kids because you have younger sibling!"

They didn't register that the scene had sped up again, because the next thing they did know, a midwife came out and informed Jackson and his father that they could now meet the newest member of their family.

Jackson hesitated when he came in. He'd been so excited to learn that he was going to be a big brother, and now... now he wasn't so sure. His father ushered him closer to his mother, who was holding a tiny bundle in her arms.

"Jack... Would you like to meet your new baby sister?" His mother asked, smiling. He perked up, now seeing the tiny baby cocooned in the blankets. He nodded, and his father carefully helped him hold her properly.

The moment Jackson looked down at the sleeping girl, he felt a fierce protectiveness well up inside. He would be the best big brother ever! "What's her name?" Jackson asked quietly, looking at his parents.

"We thought that you might like to give a suggestion." His father smiled, and Jackson lit up.

"Really?" He whispered, trying not to wake her. They nodded.

"Well then... Pippa. Pippa Overland." He smiled at the name. It was what the Wind had always called his sister, so it must've been her name wherever she came from.